Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to do MEP drawings in Revit Architecture software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to do MEP drawings in Revit Architecture software?

I was just wondering if there is a way to do Revit MEP using the families(in Revit Arhcitecture environment) setup to do MEP drawings?

My architectural model with structural systems in place is complete. Now I want to add Electrical, HVAC and Plumbing information like piping/conduits/AC split units and ducting etc., into the model. Is there a way to do this in Revit Architecture environment instead of Revit-MEP?

If yes, how to go about it? Please help.

Thanks in advance.
    " Purpose may point you in the right direction but it's passion that propels you" - Travis McAshan

Not at this time... The MEP tools are not exposed in RAC. Go get the 30 day trial of RME!!!
    -J
    http://about.me/JayZallan
    Tweet, Link or Blog me up!!!

Comment

But is there any way to do MEP in RAC at all?
      " Purpose may point you in the right direction but it's passion that propels you" - Travis McAshan

Comment

Nope.. you might be able to do some basic editing to a premodelled geometry, but nothing new.
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

RME in RAC

No.

Just in case the prior reply wasn't clear enough:

NO!!!

The MEP tools & views are not available in RAC natively, you will need (NEED) RME to create all those systems, MEP specific views, etc. Even "Create Similar" isn't available on every MEP object, so once again NO!!!
          -J
          http://about.me/JayZallan
          Tweet, Link or Blog me up!!!

Comment

I think the point the guys here are trying to make is this:

Revit Architecture does not include the same type of MEP specific tools that Revit MEP does, so you should not try to make it do something it is not designed to do.

That said, you COULD create Generic Models to represent RTUs, main and trunk ducts, oval and round ducts, diffusers, grilles, plumbing pipes, electrical equipment, conduit and connectors, etc.--but you would NOT have the "intelligence" that comes with these same elements in Revit MEP.

Heck--you could use 2D drafting techniques and produce "old school" drawings showing MEP layouts--but the results would be no better than doing it in 2D Cad.
            Cliff B. Collins
            Registered Architect
            The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
            Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Hi,

The best you can do is using MEP families. In MEP environment, these families can be monitored correctly and connector used for system definition. But... from architectural point of view it will be only "delivery" elements. Here is the content of Revit MEP but system families cannot be implemented.
              Autodesk - Autodesk Revit MEP Services & Support - Release 2011 – First Customer Ship – April 2010

Regards
              JP

Comment

Ok. So MEP it is. Will download a trial version & start learning it. Thanks all.

Comment

One of the guys in my office recently created the mechanical ductwork in a Revit architectural model using sweeps, blends, etc, and creating in-place families. He did this on a fairly small project where there was not a Revit MEP firm on board. He also modeled the structural for the same reason. He did this so as to be able to see the mechanical and structural in sections and check for conflicts.

It was probably not the most efficient thing to do but it worked.

Comment

Now, just curious, but if someone were to be able to obtain the OOTB families used by MEP and load them into RAC they would show in the PB. Could you not drag and drop from the PB to sue them? I would assume that if I use RAC and drag and drop a W28 structural framing family from the PB to the drawing window it would let me draw in a beam yes?

Comment