Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IFC import & export options

Hi

As a part of my academic term project i am working on the IFC import & export options of revit architecture 2012. I am facing some problems in the following topics.
    whenever i export a ifc file with standard settings & when i import it back to the same platform (Revit architecture 2012) there is some data loss.
    • The doors and windows are not as doors & windows.
    • The constraints related to the elements are also missing

Eg. if a wall is drawn between two levels in a model after import & export it is showing as the wall is unconnected at the top.
    I need help in the above topics.

Thanks in advance

Jhacin

Originally posted by jhacingnanadavid View Post
    Hi

As a part of my academic term project i am working on the IFC import & export options of revit architecture 2012. I am facing some problems in the following topics.
    whenever i export a ifc file with standard settings & when i import it back to the same platform (Revit architecture 2012) there is some data loss.
    • The doors and windows are not as doors & windows.
    • The constraints related to the elements are also missing

Eg. if a wall is drawn between two levels in a model after import & export it is showing as the wall is unconnected at the top.
    I need help in the above topics.

Thanks in advance

Jhacin
    I've had this type of problem exporting to IFC 2x3. From what little reading I've done about IFC export/import this is just one of the downsides to the process. There may be a fix but I don't know what it is.
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

You can compare IFCs at dxf in cad world. Some native software datas will be missing in your process of export-reimport. It always will.

IFCs are intended to share datas and geometry with other softs, not to act the way you tried.

And AFAIK, things like base and top offset are not supported very well in the export and/or in the IFCs.

do a search for IFC on this forum, you will find some related threads.

go ahead if you have other questions.
      Julien
      "Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus!"
      P. DAC
      Follow me on Twitter @Jbenoit44 - Blog: http://aecuandme.wordpress.com/

Comment

To be frank: it's not supposed to work like this. You shouldn't (re)import IFC to edit further. IFC is meant to share a model / geometry. A LOT of data and intelligence will be lost. There are no settings which will fix this.
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment