Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we change the width and height of in place family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we change the width and height of in place family?

Hi everyone, sometimes i need to model quick so i choose to used in place family . The question here can i change the overall width and height of modeled object or window by value regardless of its mullion inside like in the image the window i made : if yes that will be great for revit.
    Attached Files
    ahmed_hassan
    Last edited by ahmed_hassan; October 27, 2011, 07:31 PM.

It's possible to control i.e. the height of a inplace extrusion by a parameter, but it's very limited... Why not just build a family? Don't see how it would be faster to model it in-place... Actually, it's usually easier and thus faster to model objects when they are isolated, as in the Family Editor
    Klaus Munkholm
    "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

the extrusion by parameter is controlling only the depth , i need to control only the width and height (about make it in family editor =sometimes i love to think in model environment rather than separate environment , adding to that i can not deal with curves in controlling radius of window or width or height i never able to handle curves type in family editor) so all i need to know i can change the width and height of overall window to save time of making refrence plane and locking and add parameters all of this is time consuming also and in the end it may fails with me especially this types of curves.
      ahmed_hassan
      Last edited by ahmed_hassan; October 27, 2011, 08:04 PM.

Comment

You can, AFTER you make reference planes and dimensions and constraints. Doesnt matter what environment you do it in. Its also not always about what environment you like working in. Youll find youll get much better results doing it in the family editor.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

No you can't!

Like I said, it's very limited when working with inplace geometry. Do yourself a favor, and become familiar with the family editor ASAP. Once you are over the initial hurdles, everything will be much easier, AND faster, in the future.

If you want to make something parametric (being in inplace or families) you WILL need the ref. planes and parameters, so you might as well just do it right from the beginning. Even when building non parametric geometry, there's still no excuse for doing them inplace... Just as fast, or faster, to do them as real families... And in which case, you'd be able to REUSE them in a future project, or several future projects.

And to do you a favor, this is my last reply about inplace families. See you in the Family Creation sub-forum ?? :beer:
          Klaus Munkholm

Comment

Hmm... what do you know... Aaron is right, you actually can... but you still shouldn't
            Klaus Munkholm

Comment

ok now i am agree that it is better to do it in family editor but can anyone guide me to a tutorial on handling with curvy objects like in my case how i can give them parameters and width and height and how to handle with refrence plane in this case , i need tutorial

Comment

Its been discussed, on this forum. This week even. Head for the search bar.
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

You can also save an in-place family out into a "real" family and then load it back into your project. Best of both worlds.

see this: What Revit Wants: Save an In-Place Family as an RFA for use in another project
                  cliff collins
                  BIM there, done that
                  Last edited by cliff collins; October 28, 2011, 02:30 PM.
                  Cliff B. Collins
                  Registered Architect
                  The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
                  Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment