Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can i hide specific elements in imported cad drawing and then show it again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can i hide specific elements in imported cad drawing and then show it again?

Hi everyone i have two questions, is it possible that i can hide specific elements or layers (cad imported then show it again ) for purpose of its heavy loading on project.
    one more question , when i import cad drawing floor plan i feel like i loosed the speed of scrolling , zooming editing (noting i never explode inside revit) Do you recommend me something that help me speeding when tracing cad drawing.
    Thanks

1. In the V/G override window. Go to the view, type VG and go to the imported objects tab. There you can turn autocad layers on and off...
    2. Yep: Don't... This is one of the many reasons why we keep telling you to not import cad drawings. It will slow Revit down.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

but i can not avoid tracing cad drawing , office give me their 2d drawing and my mission is to make 3d from them. I never face problem of slowing down in archicad when tracing cad drawing although this is two different company.

Comment

Originally posted by ahmed_hassan View Post
        Hi everyone i have two questions, is it possible that i can hide specific elements or layers (cad imported then show it again ) for purpose of its heavy loading on project.
        one more question , when i import cad drawing floor plan i feel like i loosed the speed of scrolling , zooming editing (noting i never explode inside revit) Do you recommend me something that help me speeding when tracing cad drawing.
        Thanks

If you are 'importing' cad into Revit you are already halfway to exploding anyway.

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
        1. In the V/G override window. Go to the view, type VG and go to the imported objects tab. There you can turn autocad layers on and off...
        2. Yep: Don't... This is one of the many reasons why we keep telling you to not import cad drawings. It will slow Revit down.

1. my prefered method is to remove all unecessary layers/linework in Autocrud, 'save as' then 'link' into Revit.
        2. Hallelujah! :laugh:

but i can not avoid tracing cad drawing , office give me their 2d drawing and my mission is to make 3d from them. I never face problem of slowing down in archicad when tracing cad drawing although this is two different company.

I gave archicad a go for a couple of weeks when I was still at college, to me it's like 2D cad with some nifty 3D addons. However, your OP is asking about Revit performance with cad files loaded so I won't digress and bore everyone on how i hope to never use archicad again.
        There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

Good Idea Elton Do you explode cad drawing then save it as independent file revit, then open new empty file and link it as revit from previous one saved as revit?

Comment

That's because Archicad works different from Revit. Revit is a database with a graphical User Interface (put it simple: you could also model all your buildings in Access and then import the whole thing into Revit). Archicad is more comparable to any other CAD system... It works with the forms you see and puts intelligence (to some extend) in them.

Revit has problems with finding all the lines in the database, which is why it's slowing you down.
            btw: you DO have a choice not to import them. Open both cad and revit alongside and redraw like that. May seem like a weird thing to do, but I find it to be quicker in the end cause Revit won't grind to a halt because of all the dwg's in it...
            Martijn de Riet
            Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
            MdR Advies
            Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Good Idea Elton Do you explode cad drawing then save it as independent file revit, then open new empty file and link it as revit from previous one saved as revit?
              I never explode cad in Revit...what I mean is to save a copy in autocad (so you don't overwrite the original), then, still using autocad, remove everything you don't need and save again. smaller file with less data = less of a performance hit. Then 'link' that cad file into Revit. If it is 'linked' you can still snap/trace over it and delete it later if you wish :thumbsup:

ps. I've just had a look at the import cad dialogue which I see has a layers>specify option (see pics). Might make it easier/quicker, although if your layers have silly names like mine usually do it'll take a bit of experimenting!
              Attached Files
              Munkholm
              Administrator
              Last edited by Munkholm; October 27, 2011, 12:00 PM. Reason: Fixed inline attachments
              There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment