Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

general question re: door tags

:banghead:

I've been charged with implementing Revit in our office and am trying to set up our template files. One of the issues I have at the moment is with our door tags. The out of the box door tag is a capsule shape with a single line tag in it. The tag is an incremented number referred to in the PROPERTIES PALLET/IDENTITY DATA data as "Mark". As you place doors the number increases sequentially automatically.

Now, our office standard door tag is a circle with the room number on top and a letter designation on the bottom. I.E. the first door in room 101 is designated 101/A, second door, same room is 101/B, etc. We do large projects for motorsport speedways and large office buildings which often have multiple doors to a single room and clients prefer doors to be associated with the rooms rather than sequentially numbered.

I have created a new circular door tag that has the number (or mark) on top, and added a letter designation below. The top number increments as normal when new doors are placed, and can be modified in the identity data section of the properties pallet or by clicking the door tag and editing. However, the letter designation I added to the door tag family shows up as a question mark when the door tag is clicked, but cannot be edited directly in the door tag and does not show up in the properties pallet/identity data window. I have added the letter field to our door schedule, but it shows as blank since there doesn't seem to be a way to enter a value.

doortag.JPG

Now, my question is, how do I add a field to the Identity data section of the door properties pallet so I can edit the letter designation tag I added to the door tag family? I've created many other tagged families, with no trouble editing or adding info, but I have no idea why I cannot seem to make the letter designation field of this door tag editable. I'm fairly new at Revit with just a couple classes and hours of self teaching under my belt. Any assistance would be appreciated.

As a side question, since we associate our door numbers with the room the door opens to, is there a way to link the room number and the door number? I know the number can just be changed after placement in the identity data field, but was just wondering if it could be automated.

Thanks for the help.

Did you add the same exact parameter to both the tag and in the project? Did you apply the parameter to be associated with Doors? Was this a Project Parameter or Shared Parameter?
    Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Im going to throw this out there, as well: Rethink the entire thing. Just make it 101A and be done with it. Revit has capabilities to alert you when doors have the same Mark value, and it also will sequentially number the doors for you, on placement. Youre going to defeat the first feature, and render the second one useless, and have to have two data fields (and the one you make wont fill in automatically at all, unless you assign a default value of A in all of your door families).

Thats a lot of hoops to jump through just to achieve what you used to have graphically.
      Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
      @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by MPwuzhere View Post
        Did you add the same exact parameter to both the tag and in the project? Did you apply the parameter to be associated with Doors? Was this a Project Parameter or Shared Parameter?
        I believe you forgot one: did you add the same shared parameter to the door family?
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Doesn't have to be in the door family....that's if you want it to load automatically to each project that you load the family into and want to use the tag...

As long as a parameter is associated with the right family category it will appear in the properties of that family. I did this to show doors that could be seen on a structural view or not...didn't have to add the parameter to the door at all.

Comment

Right, you are correct... I thought that there might be a problem when first loading the SP and then the door, but it also shows up in that order. Don't mind me...:hide:
            I usually place them in the family so I don't have to preload everything in the Template. But that's to each his own I guess.
            Martijn de Riet
            MdR Advies

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
              Just make it 101A and be done with it. Revit has capabilities to alert you when doors have the same Mark value, and it also will sequentially number the doors for you, on placement.
              Totally agree with this...(And I totally forgot too...)...Revit doesn't like stuff with the same Mark values...
              (Ceiling Plans and people copying lights and mech equipment instead of placing them :banghead: )

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
              Don't mind me...:hide:
              LOL...Since we are trying to figure out the whole One Model concept I had to change the way my doors would show on the structural plans... Instead of modifying every single door in the model I tried just adding it to the project. Saved me a ton of time updating a bunch of doors. (I haven't created my one door family yet)..

Comment

You get the OPTION when you add the parameter at the Project level instead of the family: It doesnt have to put it in all the families, but it CAN. I still wouldnt do it.
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                  You get the OPTION when you add the parameter at the Project level instead of the family: It doesnt have to put it in all the families, but it CAN. I still wouldnt do it.
                  Nope, I tried this. In 2012 adding a parameter through project parameters this option is checked and greyed out. It will be added to all families in a category (at least with doors, don't know about the rest since the only shared parameters I preload are Project Information and/or sheets...
                  Martijn de Riet
                  MdR Advies

Comment

Depends where you add it: in the schedule versus in Project Parameters. You dont have to add it to all the elements.

Comment