Help! How to create a Sweeping roof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! How to create a Sweeping roof?

I have tried to use in-place-mass to create the sweeping roof but the curve is not smooth and instead of a single element, it is broken into a few parts as seen in the attached image. Is there any other way to create this roof? OR if the in-place-mass is the only way, how do i create a roof as a single element? Thanks

Untitled1.jpgUntitled2.jpgUntitled3.jpg

Have you played around with the warped roof tool?
    -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Try creating the surface, or the roof as an in- place roof, using a swept blend. The sweep path would be one edge of the roof and the profiles would be the two edges of the lower and upper roofs

Comment

yes i think that!
        Originally posted by Dimitri Harvalias View Post
        Try creating the surface, or the roof as an in- place roof, using a swept blend. The sweep path would be one edge of the roof and the profiles would be the two edges of the lower and upper roofs
        a r c h i t e t t o d a v i d e f a c c h e t t i
        S t u d i o T e c n i c o F a c c h e t t i
        a r c h i t e c t B I M m a n a g e m e n t

http://www.studiofacchetti.com/

Comment

Thanks. It seems to be the right method for this roof. Im still trying to work on it, but im not too sure how to create it. when im creating the 2 profiles, i cant snap the line to any point in 3d view. must i do this profiles only on elevation? what if i dont have a specific elevation to work on (pls refer to plan).
          Thanks for the help & info!

Comment

You probably need named refplanes for this. Create a refplane in plan view where you want to sketch the profile, NAME IT in the properties and then, when sketching the profile, you can select is as a workplane.
            Martijn de Riet
            Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
            MdR Advies
            Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Why not use a flat (no defined slopes) Roof By Footprint, and use Modify Sub Elements to raise the top?

It will appear as some "triangulation" is going on, but that is just Revits way of representing it (The shape will in fact be smooth), so just turn off Roofs > Interior Edges in VG
              Attached Files
              Klaus Munkholm
              "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Good point Klaus. That would eliminate the intermediate step of creating the form. I'm not sure how 'smooth' the edges would be (not in front of my computere at the moment) but the interior of the roof would be curved.

Comment

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
                  Why not use a flat (no defined slopes) Roof By Footprint, and use Modify Sub Elements to raise the top?

It will appear as some "triangulation" is going on, but that is just Revits way of representing it (The shape will in fact be smooth), so just turn off Roofs > Interior Edges in VG
                  Nice and simple way to do it. :thumbsup:

http://screencast.com/t/kgQBWn9bwo
                  Alex Cunningham
                  "RFO 2012 Spelling Bee Champion"
                  Last edited by Alex Cunningham; October 24, 2011, 08:54 PM. Reason: added image
                  -Alex Cunningham

Comment