Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heating/Cooling/Structure Analysis

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Heating/Cooling/Structure Analysis

    Hey guys, found myself to this forum after searching help to speed up renders, and now I have my own question. If it's been asked before, I apologise, I'm in a rush (Need to be somewhere) and don't have time to sift through threads.

    I got one plugin, an heating/cooling analysis, which is meant to tell me where the biggest heat gain and loss is on my building. Great I thought, but turns out it only works for mass models. My current project for school is an office building, and my design has made it near impossible to work out manually if the shading device works effectively, so I need this plugin to work. Is it possible to convert my whole model to a mass model to run this analysis? Or is there a plugin which works without mass models? I'm using Revit Architecture 2012, and my model is made up of curtain glazing walls, and other walls, floors (Not by massing first).

    Secondly, and lastly, is there a structural analysis plugin for 2012? I've seen images of buildings which show structural where some weak and strong points are, and something like this would be great for my project. Again, if the plugin would work without the need fr the model to be massing, that would be great.

    Thanks for your help guys

    #2
    Originally posted by Richo View Post
    Hey guys, found myself to this forum after searching help to speed up renders, and now I have my own question. If it's been asked before, I apologise, I'm in a rush (Need to be somewhere) and don't have time to sift through threads.

    I got one plugin, an heating/cooling analysis, which is meant to tell me where the biggest heat gain and loss is on my building. Great I thought, but turns out it only works for mass models. My current project for school is an office building, and my design has made it near impossible to work out manually if the shading device works effectively, so I need this plugin to work. Is it possible to convert my whole model to a mass model to run this analysis? Or is there a plugin which works without mass models? I'm using Revit Architecture 2012, and my model is made up of curtain glazing walls, and other walls, floors (Not by massing first).
    Not free, no. Only free tool that does this is the Autodesk plugin which evolved into Vasari. And that requires Masses. You might want to try if you can create an In Place Mass, and save that as a family. Upside is that you would have you actual model as a underlay to trace over.

    Secondly, and lastly, is there a structural analysis plugin for 2012? I've seen images of buildings which show structural where some weak and strong points are, and something like this would be great for my project. Again, if the plugin would work without the need fr the model to be massing, that would be great.

    Thanks for your help guys
    Not that I know off.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

    Comment


      #3
      to convert your Revit model to a Mass: take your model, export to DWG as 3D solids, and then reimport the 3D DWG solids into a new project inside an in-place Mass.

      Structual Analysis can be done via the Cloud with this tool on Autodesk Labs, which is free to use:

      Autodesk Labs Utilities Project Storm for Revit Structure
      Scott D Davis
      Sr. AEC Technical Specialist
      Autodesk, Inc.
      http://bit.ly/aboutsdd

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Scott D Davis View Post
        to convert your Revit model to a Mass: take your model, export to DWG as 3D solids, and then reimport the 3D DWG solids into a new project inside an in-place Mass.

        Structual Analysis can be done via the Cloud with this tool on Autodesk Labs, which is free to use:

        Autodesk Labs Utilities Project Storm for Revit Structure
        Thanks, I'll try that export/import.

        Is that only available with Revit Structure? I am using Revit Architecture

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Richo View Post
          Thanks, I'll try that export/import.

          Is that only available with Revit Structure? I am using Revit Architecture
          I'm not sure, I thought so (that's why I didn't post it) but Scott got me doubting myself...
          O, and it's limited to a few countries... grrr :banghead:
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

          Comment


            #6
            The steps for turning a normal model into a mass model works, by exporting and importing, etc, thanks for that.

            The Revit Structure cloud doesn't work however as you need Revit Structure to use it

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Richo View Post
              The steps for turning a normal model into a mass model works, by exporting and importing, etc, thanks for that.

              The Revit Structure cloud doesn't work however as you need Revit Structure to use it
              Well, I'd be happy to export it for you but unfortunately I'm not allowed to play with this due to geographical constraints.
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

              Comment


                #8
                You do not necessarily need to use Massing for energy analysis.

                You can export a gbxml file from Revit and upload it to Green Bldg Studio web/cloud based analysis site--I think you have to have an Autodesk account/subscription for this--check if your school has an acct'.

                cheers
                Cliff B. Collins
                Registered Architect
                The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
                Autodesk Expert Elite

                Comment


                  #9
                  Revit Structure is free for 30 days as a trial....
                  Scott D Davis
                  Sr. AEC Technical Specialist
                  Autodesk, Inc.
                  http://bit.ly/aboutsdd

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Scott D Davis View Post
                    Revit Structure is free for 30 days as a trial....
                    Or if you are student, go to revit student download center. Register and you will get full any latest software from Autodesk, with serial key which is valid for 3 years. love it(y)

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X