Project Steps in one file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Steps in one file?

So every project has succesive steps . It starts with concepts steps, than documentation for permit (town hall approval?) and finally documention for execution. Do you have all this steps in one file? Only design options can keep all inside. Is it worth to mess with design options at such a big scale just to keep all things inside one file? Or you just finish concept part, make a backup(save as..), than next step another backup and finally last step? What is the best approuch? The worksharing people what do thay do? The same?
    Last edited by gaby424; October 22, 2011, 04:40 PM.

We archive project milestones at the directory backup level. Youll get your behind kicked by Revit if you try to force it to be a document manager. Worksets wont do it well, design options will be a total failure. Just do the save as when you pass milestones, and keep one living model as you progress.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

perfect thanks a lot. The exact answer i wish3d to be. I thought it was not a bim way to save diferent files I tested in the past to have permit documents and execution documents with design option and it was indeed a big mess, very time consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
        We archive project milestones at the directory backup level. Youll get your behind kicked by Revit if you try to force it to be a document manager. Worksets wont do it well, design options will be a total failure. Just do the save as when you pass milestones, and keep one living model as you progress.
        question from one who doesn't often deal with "milestones". If one does a SaveAs of a local at a certain point, then creates a new local and continues working and STC ing can I open the saved milestone file in the future and have it contain only what it did when it was saved? Or will it pick up all of the new work from the central file? From what you've said above the saved file won't contain any work done after it was saved which could be very valuable in some cases. I create a new local every couple of days and archive the old locals. I've had occasions where I've screwed something up and have fixed it when I guess I could have reverted back to an archived local.

edit: and another question: if one opens an archived local and does a STC does that overwrite work done by newer locals? I wouldn't think so as isn't a central file a compilation of all work from all locals?
        Last edited by Dave Jones; October 22, 2011, 06:13 PM.
        I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

Like Aaron, we're big on milestone saves, but equally I'm trying to encourage the use of phases - perhaps wrongly I'll admit - to "capture" (documentation) project stages.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
            question from one who doesn't often deal with "milestones". If one does a SaveAs of a local at a certain point, then creates a new local and continues working and STC ing can I open the saved milestone file in the future and have it contain only what it did when it was saved? Or will it pick up all of the new work from the central file? From what you've said above the saved file won't contain any work done after it was saved which could be very valuable in some cases. I create a new local every couple of days and archive the old locals. I've had occasions where I've screwed something up and have fixed it when I guess I could have reverted back to an archived local.

edit: and another question: if one opens an archived local and does a STC does that overwrite work done by newer locals? I wouldn't think so as isn't a central file a compilation of all work from all locals?
            It just doesnt make sense to do any of that.

1. "In theory" if you cut a new local at certain milestones, and saved it somewhere, it would only have the work done to that point. But it will also be useless. It wont let you do much in it without hitting Reload Latest, which will make it current with all chances. Also, you run the risk of it telling you the file is just flat out incompatible. And whats the reason to do it? There isnt one.

2.You can just drag a copy of the central in to a folder, and call it the 50% model. It wont move forward, and when you go to open it, you use Detach from central. Then it is static, the way it was at 50%, as its own file (workshared or not is up to you).

3. I cant think of a good need to restore from a local thats been saved off, since you have backups in the Central that you can roll back to. Under collaborate, restore backup. I guess in theory you can have more backups if you save off files, but at that point i would just call IT and have them restore an older central. You dont gain any functionality archiving locals versus centrals.

4. If you open an archived LOCAL, and try to SWC, it wont wipe out the newer work, it will GET the newer work added in to it. And more than likely, it wont let you sync it anyway. After X number of changes cause irreconcilable differences, itll just tell you to pound sand. Again, theres no REASON to do this. Why drag a local in to an archive, when you can just drag the central? It wont matter regardless, as when you open an archive you SHOULD be opening it with detach from central.
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
            @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
              It just doesnt make sense to do any of that.

1. "In theory" if you cut a new local at certain milestones, and saved it somewhere, it would only have the work done to that point. But it will also be useless. It wont let you do much in it without hitting Reload Latest, which will make it current with all chances. Also, you run the risk of it telling you the file is just flat out incompatible. And whats the reason to do it? There isnt one.

2.You can just drag a copy of the central in to a folder, and call it the 50% model. It wont move forward, and when you go to open it, you use Detach from central. Then it is static, the way it was at 50%, as its own file (workshared or not is up to you).

3. I cant think of a good need to restore from a local thats been saved off, since you have backups in the Central that you can roll back to. Under collaborate, restore backup. I guess in theory you can have more backups if you save off files, but at that point i would just call IT and have them restore an older central. You dont gain any functionality archiving locals versus centrals.

4. If you open an archived LOCAL, and try to SWC, it wont wipe out the newer work, it will GET the newer work added in to it. And more than likely, it wont let you sync it anyway. After X number of changes cause irreconcilable differences, itll just tell you to pound sand. Again, theres no REASON to do this. Why drag a local in to an archive, when you can just drag the central? It wont matter regardless, as when you open an archive you SHOULD be opening it with detach from central.
              thanks Aaron! It's sometimes hard to figure this stuff out when I'm the only one here...
              I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment