Slabs at Columns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slabs at Columns

I have a fairly large structure (125,000sf footprint) which has many columns. What methods do others use to model a slab at the columns? I do not want to see the dashed line for the slab, using linework on tons of views does not intrigue me and modeling the slab edge line around all the columns also does not seem like a great solution since there are so many columns, then if the column moves then I have to go play with the slab lines again.

Any thoughts?

What about modeling a custom column that has the slab in it? That way, you move the column, you move the slab. Plus, you can turn off the slab in plan view using the visibility settings. Just a thought.
    Dan

Comment

I have over 100 concrete columns and the slab is around 125k sf. Turning the slab off would make the drilled pier under the column show solid since it would not be hidden by the slab any more.

Im not sure what you mean by modeling a custom column that has the slab...

Comment

You could try constraining the slabs to your columns...

Comment

Never mind. I misread your post. I'm confused then. If you have column on a slab, what are you trying not to show? Why would there be dashed lines for the slab? Wouldn't you just have one solid line around the perimeter?
          Dan

Comment

Originally posted by gdoherty0102 View Post
            I have over 100 concrete columns and the slab is around 125k sf. Turning the slab off would make the drilled pier under the column show solid since it would not be hidden by the slab any more.

Im not sure what you mean by modeling a custom column that has the slab...
            I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to achieve. What is your issue? What is it you need to model at the columns where they meet the slab? Is it a drop cap? Or a foundation? I think we need more information from you.
            Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
            AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional
            ACAD2021, RST2014-2021 / Windows 10, 64-bit

Comment

set your view to wireframe or make your floor transparent and you wont get any hidden lines.

Pictures would greatly help us troubleshoot your problem.
              Last edited by Alex Cunningham; October 21, 2011, 03:39 PM.
              -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Like others, I need some more informations. But is it about a detail component nested in your column family to show lines of slab around the columns? Or do you need an opening that has the same shape as the column?
                It's up to you.....;-)
                Julien
                "Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus!"
                P. DAC
                Follow me on Twitter @Jbenoit44 - Blog: http://aecuandme.wordpress.com/

Comment

In this pic, I do not want the pink line to show.

Top of slab is at 78' and top of pier is at 77' Column sits on pier as does wall, slab technically pours around column.
                  • I have 100+ columns and multiple plans so linework is no good.
                  • Again I have 100+ columns so really would rather not model the slab around the column to be 100% accurate and doing rebar detailing is much easier if the slab just runs through incorrectly. This also is not a great method because if the columns move I have to go update the slab around all the columns that move.
                  • If I hide the slab, make the slab transparent, or do wireframe the drilled pier below will not show partly as hidden line
                  • If I join geometry of the slab to the column it cuts the column which makes it have a gap when doing rebar shop drawings when the column is isolate from the slab.

2012 was supposed to allow other elements cut each other (IE use a beam to cut a beam pocket into a wall) but I can not seem to figure that out for this. What would be ideal is that I could have my column cut my slab so I don't have to model the slab around the column and if the column moves the cut moves.
                  Attached Files

Comment

So, your only issue is with the linework in plan?
                    If so, why not use the Linework Tool? Set it to <Invisible lines> and choose the lines you don't want to show.
                    Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
                    AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional
                    ACAD2021, RST2014-2021 / Windows 10, 64-bit

Comment