Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sequence for NAMED PLACES management?

All,
    I'm facing a large campus project of MFH 'villas' where villas will repeat / mirror / rotate across a site, and have different vertical positions. Units within the Villas will need to be shared/updatable, and shell features will need to be distributable across the Villas, as well.

I'm considering this workflow:

UNITS:
    a) Develop the UNITs in a single model, to manage versions and share internal sub-groups (bathrooms, kitchens, etc)
    b) Create lightweight GM families of each UNIT type, to enable efficient updating into the Villa models. Thinking of keeping these 2D for early development, since system families (walls, etc) cannot be contained in a .rfa

VILLAS:
    a) Create a separate model for each Villa type

CAMPUS:
    a) Create a 'site' model that has each Villa linked in, and distributed across the terrain.

QUESTIONS:

a) I've been testing using NAMED PLACES to control/manage the unique positions of the duplicated Villas, but my tests haven't really shown much success at doing more than adding, in Properties, a Name to each position of the copied Villa types. When I choose to update the linked model, I don't see those named positions appear in it, so I'm either interpreting the outcome wrong, or simply DOING IT WRONG. The test file is NOT set up with Shared Coordinates, so that's a usual suspect, right there.

I've looked up at least 4 resources on how this process is done, but none of them are very clear as to what is expected to HAPPEN, nor what the benefit of the process is.

Anyone have a succinct summary of the setup, they'd be willing to share?

Thanks in advance!

In your site model, once you've placed your villa (linked model) instances,
    site.PNG
    you publish-push coordinates to each using a new location (using duplicate)

The site model has the one location (typically)
    location.PNG

and the villa model gets all the different ones
    villa.PNG

EDIT
    try then loading in a second "villa" like the villa_floor.rvt file I've included here (made as a copy from the first) and you will note on linking the immediate option to choose which of the locations it lands.

subsequent interactions, re-locations can then be controlled via the properties dialog:
    floor.PNG
    Attached Files
    snowyweston
    Last edited by snowyweston; January 27, 2021, 02:10 AM. Reason: added more didn't i

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
      In your site model, once you've placed your villa (linked model) instances,
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]39985[/ATTACH]
      you publish-push coordinates to each using a new location (using duplicate)

The site model has the one location (typically)
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]39987[/ATTACH]

and the villa model gets all the different ones
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]39986[/ATTACH]

EDIT
      try then loading in a second "villa" like the villa_floor.rvt file I've included here (made as a copy from the first) and you will note on linking the immediate option to choose which of the locations it lands.

subsequent interactions, re-locations can then be controlled via the properties dialog:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]39988[/ATTACH]
      Thanks for the reply, Snowywestern! So, the purpose of the Named Places is for when REPLACING a linked model with another model with a different name? Because if the edited Villas kept the same name, this wouldn't even be necessary, right? So this is a process needed IF the revisions to the Villas were changing the name (adding a V1, V2, etc) to the model name. I suspect this WOULD be a good idea, to manage the evolution.

In my tests, I was 'pushing' the locations back to the linked model, but when I opened the villa model and checked the Places panel, there was no change - it only showed Internal. I think that's where I'm confused.

Comment

When done correctly, in your Villas file you should see all of the different Named Places in there. (Villa-Position 1, Villa-Position 2, or whatever you are calling them). Thats how it is here, when we do it. (Similar process to Snowy's).
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

It doesn't support mirrored versions so you'll need separate mirrored versions of the same villas.

It is intended to allow a Villa design to show different site orientation within its own model. This way you can print documents for location 1, change to location 2 > print, change to location 3 > print.

I use a separate site model because it is "easier" to define the alternate locations and create overall site documentation but the villa specific documentation needs to be done within the villa model by changing the named location.

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
            When done correctly, in your Villas file you should see all of the different Named Places in there. (Villa-Position 1, Villa-Position 2, or whatever you are calling them). Thats how it is here, when we do it. (Similar process to Snowy's).
            That's what I EXPECTED to see, but it didn't work. I did NOT see the named positions pushed back into the Villa file.

Steve's comment might be the reason for it --- I WAS testing on mirrored/rotated copies of the Villa.

But just to clarify, this method is for coordinating the placement/orientation of the Villa in the overall SITE/CAMPUS model, but doing the documentation within the Villa file itself, to setup views oriented per the specific positions. Not sure we will take this approach, as we would do 1 'project north' set of documents per Villa type, and just enlarged plans for unique conditions per position, such as the variations in access stairs, etc.

Thanks so much for talking me through this, guys, lots of 'if, then' scenarios with these campus projects...

Comment