Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the file format Revit push out to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the file format Revit push out to?

My office is having an issue to print the thinnest line for the half size set (30x42 original) to be legible. we have the technican come in already to look at the setting and make some adjustment to it already. We are now trying to figure out the native file format when Revit is converted to and send it to the plotter. If we do know the format, we are hoping it might be possible to make further tuning to the plotter to "read" better.
    Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

P
    Philip Chan
    Practice Technology Manager | HKS
    http://phil-osophyinbim.blogspot.com/

That is going to be totally dependent on your printer driver as well as the settings. For example, on an Oce plotter, you can use a PostScript driver, which creates PS files, or you can use a WPD (Windows Printer Driver) driver, and I have no idea what the native file format is. Actually, I am not sure that WPD doesn't produce device specific plot files, rather than standardized PostScript files like the PS driver offers.
    In either case, Revit isn't exporting the file, the driver is. And any settings you need to deal with will be at the printer driver. I would be making sure the driver is using the highest resolution the plotter can handle. There may be some other settings as well, but again, it is all accessible from the plotter driver, and the actual "plot file" format is unimportant.

FWIW, my testing (on an Oce ColorWave 600) showed that PostScript was no slower than WPD, but the color rendering was MUCH better. What was on screen was much closer to what was printed. So we chose to just use PostScript. For an office of hundreds of people this might not be the case, but for smaller offices I think I would at least try the PS driver for a while. I think it handles things like poche, anti-aliasing and images much better as well. But it depends on the plotter. Not sure all plotters even have a PS driver option, nor that all manufacturers do a similarly good job with their PS driver.

Gordon
    Last edited by Gordon Price; October 18, 2011, 11:04 PM.
    Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Gordon,

Thanks for your response. It sounds like something we could take a look into. We are in fact using oce plotter in the office.

P
      Philip Chan
      Practice Technology Manager | HKS
      http://phil-osophyinbim.blogspot.com/

Comment

Plotter drivers are one of those things that are just frustrating beyond words. Even without any 64 bit or Windows 7 issues thrown in. I hope you get it to do what you want.

By the way, great office you are in there. Lake|Flato does some great work!

Gordon
        Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

We routinely print half-size sets to PDF using Acrobat Pro or PDF Factory and they look great. We have an old-school Ricoh 240 B&W Plotter.
          Try changing the Vector / Raster setting in your print driver as well, and if printing to PDF, experiment with DPI settings--300 seems fine for us.
          Cliff B. Collins
          Registered Architect
          The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
          Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment