Datum Levels - 3D/2D icon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Datum Levels - 3D/2D icon

Hello, I have been doing a little bit of reading on the 3D and 2D icon for the graphic extents of the datum lines. Can someone explain what the difference is?

Thank you,
    Attached Files
    Munkholm
    Administrator
    Last edited by Munkholm; October 19, 2011, 09:23 AM. Reason: Fixed inline attachments
    Dustin W. Goffron, AIA, LEED AP+, EDAC, CDT
    Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
    Autodesk Revit Architecture 2013 Certified Professional
    www.dustingoffron.com

When in 3D, if you move the extents of a level it will move those extents in every view throughout the model. If you change it to 2D, it will only move the extents in that particular view.
    Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
      When in 3D, if you move the extents of a level it will move those extents in every view throughout the model. If you change it to 2D, it will only move the extents in that particular view.
      In addition to this the 3d extents of a datum must cross a perpendicular datum to be seen in the associated view. For example the 3d extents of a gridline must cross the 3d extents of a level datum in order for the grid to be visible in the assiciated floor plan.
      Jeff Hanson
      Sr. Subject Matter Expert
      Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

Thats what I was reading, but what is the practical purpose of it?
        Dustin W. Goffron, AIA, LEED AP+, EDAC, CDT
        Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
        Autodesk Revit Architecture 2013 Certified Professional
        www.dustingoffron.com

Comment

Well, you may have a view where you need to stretch the level or grid. Maybe it's interfering with a dimension string or text. But, you don't want to do it globally for the entire project, just that particular view. Change it to 2D and put it where you need it.
          Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DGoffron View Post
            Thats what I was reading, but what is the practical purpose of it?
            When I teach it to my college students I show how it might look "ugly" to have gridlines showing up on the elevations and might even get confused for another kind of line on the elevation, but you might still want to reference the gridlines on the elevation. You can switch to 2d extents and "pull up" the gridlines off of the elevation. You leave the 3d extents where they are because you want the grids to show in all of the plan views.
            Jeff Hanson
            Sr. Subject Matter Expert
            Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment