No announcement yet.

Linked .dwg no longer linked - All instances of .dwg converted to imported .dwg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linked .dwg no longer linked - All instances of .dwg converted to imported .dwg

I have a .dwg linked to my project that is used as a background on some sheets, and I occasionally need to alter the .dwg file and reload it in Revit. When I went to reload it today, I could not find the .dwg in Manage Links, but the .dwg is still visible in all of the views where I had placed it.

Is it possible to convert a linked .dwg into an imported .dwg, and if so, how would that occur? On the other side, is it possible to re-establish the link to the .dwg? There are multiple instances of the .dwg in the project, along with graphical overrides applied to various views where the .dwg is present, so if there is a way to correct this without having to redo everything, that would be ideal, though I don't have much hope on that one.

You've hit the the "import cad" button instead of the "link cad" button, and now your project is bigger and heavier than it needs to be.
    Best option is to delete them all then "link cad".
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

I think I've figured out the issue. Apparently if the .dwg is selected inside manage links and one presses "Import" it changes all instances of the linked .dwg in the project to an Import instance. I must have fat-fingered it at some point when I was on autopilot, working through my links.

I really wish there was a warning dialog when that button is pressed.

Comment

Thanks Elton. I had already had the file linked in the project, but I must have accidentally pressed that damn Import button at some point when I had the file selected. I'm actually surprised that this is the first time this happened to me, though I really wish it didn't. It's going to be a headache.

Comment

Originally posted by msmere86 View Post
          I really wish there was a warning dialog when that button is pressed.
          I really wish that button didn't exist!
          Dave Plumb
          BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment