Hide Flip Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hide Flip Controls

Is there any way to NOT show the Flip Controls in a Family?
    I'm going through and making Preview Views for all my Families so they read better in the KiwiCodes Family Browser.
    Some of our families are made up entirely of Symbolic Lines (don't ask!), so I can't make a 3D View Preview.
    However, some of these things have Flip Controls off to the side of the graphics, and that makes the Preview smaller than it should be.

There doesn't seem to be any category in V/G that turns Flip Controls off, and I can't right-click and Hide In View. And, as I said, these are Symbolic Lines, so I can't just do a Top-down 3D View.
    Attached Files
    Dave Plumb
    BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Doesn't the Family Browser let you size the screen shot window? Can't you just make it smaller so you don't see the flip controls?
    Dan

Comment

I think you have to go into each file & make the view size & scale appropriate to what you want. It's like so many of the OOTB families that have been saved at 1/8" scale & the reference planes go off into the ether for miles. I'm just sayin'.

Comment

Thanks guys.
        Dan, Are you talking about the Create Icon Screen Capture utility? To be honest, I had forgotten about that one, but I'm kind of reluctant to use it. I figure sooner or later we're going to want to change something, and then we'd have to take a new screen shot. I'm trying to stick with just using the Preview Source View from the family so everything is done the same. I don't want to try to keep track of which families use which method of generating icons. Maybe I'm lazy, but I figure when I make changes a year or two from now, I don't want to realize I did it differently after the fact.

And yes, gw, that's exactly what I'm trying to clean up. As part of our conversion to the Family Browser, I'm going through ALL of our families, creating a View called Thumbnail, turning off Dimensions and Ref Planes, all kinds of exciting things like that. But we'll end up with nice, consistent, useful Previews.
        Dave Plumb
        BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

My advice is to make the previews. It doesnt reset them when you update the family. Every one of our families has a custom made preview, and its way less time consuming than setting up a view and trying to get it right in the family editor. Plus, the FB and revit families are strange: Something causes the previews to "Gray out" in some cases, and ive isolated it down to what view you are in when the file is FIRST created (save as) and not "saved." Way too much crap to remember when i can just make the icon in ten seconds.

Plus, for detailed content differences, we made out previews 85x85 instead of 64x64.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Ahh, I see. So, how do you make your own previews?
            Dan

Comment

HI Dan.

If you go to Revit Family Browser: Tutorial Videos and scroll down to Icon Creator that should answer your question? If not fire away with more questions.

Cheers

Phillip
              Phillip Miller
              Kiwi Codes Solutions Ltd
              Makers of "Family Browser" and "Project Browser" for Revit.

Comment

I saw how to do it in the FB. I think they are creating their own outside of the FB, if I'm not mistaken.
                Dan

Comment

Who is they? If you are referencing my post, we do ours with the Family Browser Utility. The images are all taken with the view cube set to Top Left corner, Hidden or Shaded (depending on category), Shadows on and AO on. Takes about 30 seconds to do.
                  Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                  @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                    Who is they? If you are referencing my post, we do ours with the Family Browser Utility. The images are all taken with the view cube set to Top Left corner, Hidden or Shaded (depending on category), Shadows on and AO on. Takes about 30 seconds to do.
                    Was this not the tool that you said you would never use lol :hide: .

Seriously it doesn't take to long although if you had 5000 families to do then it may take week :banghead:
                    Phillip Miller
                    Kiwi Codes Solutions Ltd
                    Makers of "Family Browser" and "Project Browser" for Revit.

Comment