Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help converting to archicad (without ifc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help converting to archicad (without ifc)

Hi... People I am looking for days to find out a way to export from autodesk revit to Archicad but can't find it ! ! I tried to export via .ifc format (2x3 version) but you see, it does not export the objects made with mass, only walls, slabs, things like that. I also tried to do the same thing with .dwf format but still no luck I am interested in exporting the complex shaped walls, made with mass function. I am surprised to see that Archicad can save and open 3ds, and Revit which is made by the ones who made 3dstudio, can't save .3ds , geeez. I won't like to install 3ds max for additional conversions because it is huge (4gb). Please does someone know how to do this? Or if you know a smaller convertor from .rvt to .3ds or .pln ?
    thank you

The only way Revit goes in to Max is through FBX (not the interoperable FBX you are thinking of), or 3D DWG/DXF. Its that or IFC. Getting from Revit to ArchiCAD, one of two things will be trus: Youll be using something IFC based and will be missing some stuff, or youll be jumping through hoops and getting a completely unintelligent model in the end.

Mind you, Revit was NOT made by the same people who made Max. It was ACQUIRED by the same people who owned Max. There is a massive difference.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

The question here why you want to convert it to archicad ? is it for purpose for MEP modelling inside archicad or for what ?
      with revit you can still save as fbx and from 3d max you can import this format.

Comment

@ Twiceroadsfool thanks. It seems I have no option but to work with 3d max for converting. As for the resulting model after combining Archicad with Revit, I don't understand what's wrong in working with them both .
        @ ahmed_hassan Well, my initial idea was not to use 3dmax as I never used it. I wanted to create in Revit the things that archicad can't do (organic shapes) and send them to archicad. I mainly work in Archicad but occasionaly I would like to use Revit for complex shapes.

Comment

Originally posted by mlegs View Post
          @ Twiceroadsfool thanks. It seems I have no option but to work with 3d max for converting. As for the resulting model after combining Archicad with Revit, I don't understand what's wrong in working with them both .
          @ ahmed_hassan Well, my initial idea was not to use 3dmax as I never used it. I wanted to create in Revit the things that archicad can't do (organic shapes) and send them to archicad. I mainly work in Archicad but occasionaly I would like to use Revit for complex shapes.
          Here I was thinking Archicad could do anything... hehehe :laugh:
          Seriously though: it's not a problem working with both (couldn't phantom why, but that's just me). It's just not really interoperable, especially when you don't want to/can't go through ifc.
          Why do you think you can add openings to walls in Archicad when you're importing a static dumb element from 3D Max?
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

actually it's not that Archicad can't create stuff like that, the latest version is quite improved from this point of view, but I am used already with revit for creating organic shapes (I use archicad for the rest)... I don't want to edit in archicad anything made in revit. What's done in revit I edit only in revit (adding openings...). It's not that I don't want to use the .ifc format, I asked how to export the complex shaped things from revit into archicad.... I'm not an .ifc enemy but if you know that this is possible through .ifc please tell me how to do it....
            Last edited by mlegs; October 14, 2011, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I think a 3D DWG export is probably the only method.....shudder...I couldn't see myself switching from Revit to ArchiCAD...unless your one of those folk that unlink all your views for 2D work...
              Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Well, there are better autocad based applications for that...
                Martijn de Riet
                Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                MdR Advies
                Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

frankly, here in my first registeration i was frustrating a lot because i am used with archicad and starting comparing but once i discovered that archicad make such sweets and you have to get a lot of plugins to allow me making complex shape, i start to leave it gradually, for example stair in archicad it is not flexible unless you get addon cadimage or archistair and so on. although that MEP modeller in archicad is easy to understand just 4 lessons you can create mep for your model inside programme with multiple views (architectural one view and mep another view on one programme). that is not that case inside revit. i have to master Revit Mep independently to make it done that is really sad for me but still with revit architectural there is no such u-turns and limitaton.
                  the summary every programme has its advantages and disadvantages.

Comment

Hi guys,

Are you aware that Graphisoft offers a free plugin for Revit, to enhance Revit exports to IFC?
                    The main thing is that grids are exported. Check here:
                    http://www.graphisoft.com/support/ar...eroperability/

Hope it helps.
                    Julien
                    "Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus!"
                    P. DAC
                    Follow me on Twitter @Jbenoit44 - Blog: http://aecuandme.wordpress.com/

Comment