STOOPID question?: maximum baluster spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STOOPID question?: maximum baluster spacing

When creating simple railings, I almost always evenly space a series of posts considering a maximum distance between them, as specified by the structural engineer. After banging my head against the railing tool for far too long to admit, the best I can come up with is attached: inconsistent and unpredictable post spacing.

Am I missing something obvious in the program? If not, does anyone have a tip on how to evenly space posts not to exceed a maximum distance?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lost again again; October 13, 2011, 04:40 AM. Reason: neglected to attach image...

Hope screenshots help.
    Attached Files
    Mark Balsom

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Comment

Mark,

I tried the "distance from previous" of 1500 from your screenshot on a 4500 long rail and got 3 spaces of 1500. Then I increased the rail length incrementally. Between 5249 and 5250 (3 x 1750, or 7/6 of 1500), a fourth space was added. It seems therefore that if I want a maximum spacing of 1500, I should be able to set "distance from previous" to 1749 (slightly less than 1500 x 7/6).

I really want a maximum spacing of 1828.8 (6'-0"). I set "distance from previous" to 2133 (slightly less than 1828.6 x 7/6) but ended up with spaces of 1842. My math could be wrong as it's past midnight here (but really, I shouldn't have to be doing the math here as I sit at my computer). Am I going about this the wrong way?

Comment

Make sure that you have Justify set to "Spread pattern to fit" otherwise it will give you the wrong justification.
        Adam Hutchinson
        Engineer in Training
        Integrus Architecture, P.S.

Comment

A solution for my simple railing condition!

After working with Autodesk support, their current workaround to achieve a maximum baluster spacing (and assuming the intermediate balusters are the same as the corner posts and corner posts are set at "each segment end") is to split the sketch line at the intended baluster locations. Within sketch mode, I added and dimensioned some reference planes, toggled them to equal, then broke the sketch lines at the reference planes. For the very simple railing I needed, this allows for complete control of the baluster locations.
          Attached Files

Comment