Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standalone Rvt file to worksharing file issue

To all the Revit guru,

I have seen something so whacky today when one of our projects converted it from standalone to worksharing file.
    The standalone file had quite alot modeled already, only it needs to be convert it to a worksharing file as we move on to the next phase. After enabling worksharing, (before even save it as a central file), I tried to create a new workset and move all the elements from "workset 1" to this workset "A-BLDG", for some reasons, I would not be able to select a few things in the model (some are framing, floors, walls, roofs) no matter what views I was on. The only way I could select them was to go to the browsers and go to pick the particular families (say floor) and choose select all instance and select it, but the problem still exist, I was able to select it, but I CANNOT modify it at all, no matter what I did, the only thing I could do was to delete it and I could redraw the same type of element in the file.
    This happened not only in 2011 but 2012 as well.

I was thinking if this is a known issue where you should not covert it from standalone to worksharing if you are far along with your model.
    P.S. The model itself had a design option in the first place, but the 2nd option had been purged out before worksharing enabled began.

So, any comments are welcome or if it will point me to the right directions.

As we are about to upgrade most of out project to 2012, I hear more and more issues surfacing up in this version. It had got me worried now.

Thanks in advance.

P
    Philip Chan
    Practice Technology Manager | HKS
    http://phil-osophyinbim.blogspot.com/

Приветствую.
    В данном вопросе врядли смогу помочь, но поделюсь своим методом перевода файла в режим работы с рабочими наборами.
    После создания требуемых рабочих наборов, я выключаю видимость всех наборов кроме того, в котором находятся все элементы объекта. Потом начинаю выделять элементы по категориям и назначаю им соотвтетсвующий рабочий набор. При этом, все элементы с назначеным набором сразу исчезают, оставляя в поле зрения только неназначеные элементы.
    Таким образом я получаю визуальный контроль каким элементам остается переназначить рабочий набор.
    Надеюсь, что этот совет хоть как-то помог.

English translation:
    Hey everyone!
    In this issue I can hardly help but I want to share my method of transferring files to the operating mode with worksets.
    After creating the required worksets, I turn off the visibility of all WS except that, which contains all the elements of the object. Then I start to select items by categories and assign them to the corresponding workset. In this case, all elements with an assigned WS immediately disappear, leaving in sight only unassigned items.
    So I get a visual check of which elements have to be reassigned.
    I hope that this advice somehow helped You.
    Regards,

Neboysha NOVKOVICH,
    OOO NPP "TIS", Kharkov,
    Autodesk Community Member.

Comment

Neboysha,

That was exactly what I was doing before I discovered that issue.
      I created that "A_BLDG" workset and was trying to transfer those elements from "workset 1" (at the time, A_BLDG was off)
      and that how I realized some random elements were not be able to select.
      Philip Chan

Comment

Are they in a design option?
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Aaron,

There was a design option involved before the file was enabled to worksharing. But we cleared it out (by accepting primary) before any of these happened.

I was thinking about if the design option is the cause also.
          So, what is your thought on this?

P
          Philip Chan

Comment

You are absolutely certain the design options are all gone? Because it sounds like the element is in an option, haha. Is it in a model group, and you arent selecting it because youre grabbing the entire group? Thats also a possibility.

There are no known issues with converting models back and forth to workshared and not-workshared, that ive ever heard of. And i have converted models to workshared in the 11th hour, with most CD's done, and not had an issue. Now that 2012 can unworkshare a project, ive gone back and forwards again with models late in the game, when using DFC to teach project teams stuff.
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

There was no model group in the entire model for sure.
              I am now suspecting it has something to do with design option (which I have that option gone before all of these happened), but I will go back to both version of the model to check again.
              I will post my comments once I confirm it, thanks.

P
              Philip Chan

Comment

I finally got some time to go back and check the issue on the locked elements. However, I couldn't replicate the condition back to where it was. The only conclusion I could come up with is that it has something to do with design option. I think there might be some instability issue while converting to a worksharing file with design option involved. I would like to hear from others if they come across with a similar issue.
                Thanks for your feedback.
                Philip Chan

Comment

I convert them all the time, with Design Options. Did it last week for a project team. Design Options, and Linked in multiple instances of the file with different Design Options selected in each instance of the Linked file. Workshared it all after the fact. No issues.

Comment

so I really don't know what the real issue is, I could only assume it has something to do with the design options since the elements that were "locked" were from design options.
                    Philip Chan

Comment