Concrete Lintel above window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concrete Lintel above window

I've got to model a "faux" concrete lintel above some windows. The lintel itself will only replace the brick skin of the external wall rather than being an actual lintel. Do i model it as a nested family within the window family or do i do it as a separate family?

Also which family template is the best to use? Wall based generic model/speciality equipment or use an actual structural framing one (they seem very complex for what i need to show).

I've been playing around and I've created a Speciality Equipment (wall based family) with a void cut sweep into the wall and then created a sweep within the void cut for the lintel and then nested that into my window family (with all the parameters added). Is this a robust way of doing it?
    robp
    Last edited by robp; January 11, 2022, 03:32 PM.

I would use a face-based generic model with a void in it to cut the wall. Set your void depth (thickness?) separately from the lintel so it can cut as needed, rather than just the thickness of the lintel. I have built in my sills and surrounds into my windows to make life easier. If you only need one or two of them I wouldn't worry about nesting them for the time being, but it is worth thinking about in the long run.
    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Originally posted by robp View Post
      Also which family template is the best to use? Wall based...
      Your "parent" Window family is going to be wall-hosted, so you don't really want/need to be making your lintel wall based also.

Were I to make one, I'd probably make the lintel an instance-everything family first (workplane based generic model family template category swapped to structural framing) nested into the (wall based) window "host" with a Y (off-of-wall-face) offset to control a cutting void driven by a "has/hasn't" switch. Capture.png

Comment

For the record, you totally can make them both Wall Hosted (WH in WH). Our Door Frames are built that way. Works totally fine. And lets you leverage Openings to cut out the shape of the Frame/Lintel. Which is nice.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Agreed -- if it's not Wall Hosted I believe you'd need to manually cut each instance from the wall in the project (or is it join to the wall in the project... i don't recall)
          Greg McDowell Jr
          about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Originally posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
            i don't recall
            manual cuts and joins aren't necessary when the child (lintel) family is face-based w/ it's own cutting void/s... which in my experience behave when "not cutting" (whereas throwing a void cut off of a wall in a wall based force-deletes the placed instance in the host)

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
              Your "parent" Window family is going to be wall-hosted, so you don't really want/need to be making your lintel wall based also.

Were I to make one, I'd probably make the lintel an instance-everything family first (workplane based generic model family template category swapped to structural framing) nested into the (wall based) window "host" with a Y (off-of-wall-face) offset to control a cutting void driven by a "has/hasn't" switch.
              Snowy, do you do the cutting void in the lintel family or in the window family? I've done a very basic one at the moment but can't seem to get the lintel to cut the wall properly

Lintel.jpg

Comment

Ignore me. I've found out that you can't have an opening and a void cutting the same host. WT actual F???? Surely that's something that autodesk could easily solve by either removing the openings and replacing them with voids from their template families or making it so that you can have an opening and a void.

Friday rant over. I'm going home for Rum

Comment

ooo which? big rum lover here

to "answer" - yeah, the void/opening thing is a pita - but since opening's are pretty dumb I only ever use void cuts anyhow (accepting whatever performance hit that might incur) - and re: the cutting element in my example? that's in the window - I just rushed up an FaceBased with a throwable void cut and whilst it doesn't commit seppuku when you throw the switch like a wall-based, throwing the switch again doesn't mean it cuts again - so my last assertion was half-correct/wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
                    ooo which? big rum lover here
                    Doorly's XO 🥃 and dont start me off, i could get a whole rum thread going if you do!!! 😁

thanks for your help, have a good weekend

Comment

widgetinstance 211 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X