Autodesk Construction Cloud Disconnects for design consultants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autodesk Construction Cloud Disconnects for design consultants

We are really struggling with the Autodesk Construction Cloud compared to BIM 360. We understand that ACC is more useful for the construction phase, but, since it has Takeoff in it, it is also necessary for the pre-construction phase (where design consultants reside). We are also told by Autodesk that ACC is the way forward. Unfortunately, we are finding lots of disconnects, so it is very hard to recommend that it is used at all during pre-construction.
    I’m generally interested in users disconnects - please explain if you have found any, and any workarounds to suit. Here are ours (and they are growing!)

No free app for markups/ issues like BIM360
    You need plangrid or Build – which a lot of design consultant won’t have subscriptions to. (thats really the killer for our clients)

3d view disconnects
    1. Phase Control: ACC has none.
    2. Measure tools: BIM 360 auto calibrates, ACC doesn’t. You can snap in 3d, but generally 3d views don’t have dimensions on them so you don’t actually know the distance you are calibrating to.
    3. Markup Tools: BIM360 has 3d markup tools, ACC doesn’t.
    4. Issues Tab: BIM360 lists all the issues – click on an issue it takes you to the view. ACC only lists issues that were created in the view you are on. Need to go backwards and forwards within views to see the issues (very time consuming)
    2d view Disconnects
    1. Measure tools: BIM360 auto calibrates, in ACC the user has to calibrate every view separately (a pain) and can’t snap (inherently inaccurate).
    2. Place me tool: In ACC the tool seems completely broken
    3. Double click on object: BIM360 zooms in, ACC nothing happens (small point I know, but Im used to doing that!)
    BIM360 “Plans” vrs ACC “For the Field”
    1. Uploading PDF booklets: BIM360 separates all the sheets, names and numbers them. ACC doesn’t separate, and the sheets are not named or numbered, so if you have, say 200 sheets its impossible to know which one to go to. (generally, design consultants would not have plangrid which would control this a lot better)
    2. Version Control”: BIM 360 each sheet has version control and can be updated separately. Can approve individual sheets. ACC cant update individually, cant approve individual sheets
    Autodesk Takeoff (QS) – using the 3d model
    1. No phase control so can’t QS different phases, or demolished items
    2. Doesn’t work if you have shared nested components within your Revit families
    3. It is view based and is dependant on the designer setting up the view correctly (inherently risky for the QS) and the QS can’t control what published view to use, it just selects the “biggest” 3d view in the design consultants model for the QS to use! (extremely risky and kills the whole process)
    4. It comes up with lots of errors where there are “infill” elements (i.e. if a door is demolished, the wall gets auto-infilled/repaired) since it cant measure area or lengths of those.
    Any others?
    Last edited by Alex Page; September 13, 2021, 09:56 PM.
    Alex Page
    RevitWorks Ltd
    Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

I have the same observations. Very annoying.

Comment

for phasing, cant you just set up different 3D published views that have the phase filters set? I can see your point that you should be able to control phase visibility in an all inclusive model, but I suppose this might be a workaround for you?

Comment

Thank you Karalon10. Yes of course, thats a work-around for the phasing issue. Never the less, measuring in a 2D-Plan should be possible with snaps without calibration, etc... etc... quite a costy product when its missing this basic functionallity.

Comment

Yes we have yet to try out the product, alot of our projects are still on BIM360 Platform but we are about to run an internal trial project using ACC so I imagine a lot of these issues will come up - good to know what they are in advance. In the mean time we can just cross our fingers that someone from autodesk reads it and the dev team reacts - Most of these points you raise, I actually found surprising as they are essential and "basic" features that already existed in the other
          platform.

Also just reading down those points again
          As a workaround for the QS with nested components, I think if you created a view set to "show parts" this should get around that for you but again requires a specific view published to achieve something that should be available without needing it.
          Last edited by Karalon10; October 13, 2021, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Karalon10 View Post
            As a workaround for the QS with nested components, I think if you created a view set to "show parts" this should get around that for you but again requires a specific view published to achieve something that should be available without needing it.
            Yes - but you cant select a view for the QS to work on, it just uses the largest view in the project (i.e. it works completely differently than BIM 360 docs): absolutely no control by the QS

Alex Page
            RevitWorks Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Karalon10 View Post
              for phasing, cant you just set up different 3D published views that have the phase filters set? I can see your point that you should be able to control phase visibility in an all inclusive model, but I suppose this might be a workaround for you?
              Correct - its just a pain that it is different. Also, in a slightly unorganised project, other consultants might not have published the views in that way: we have had issues trying to get other design consultants to create and publish views that we want for our purposes...and it wont work for use with the QS (refer post above)
              Last edited by Alex Page; October 14, 2021, 12:15 AM.
              Alex Page
              RevitWorks Ltd

Comment

There's a BIM 360 Ideas Page (like the Revit Ideas where your comments might get more traction
                https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/bim-360-ideas/idb-p/2032
                Dave Plumb
                BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment