2019-2020 Materials Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019-2020 Materials Issues

I'm trying to replace all older materials with the new ones and overall I'm very pleased. However I can't figure out how to reproduce a couple items that were easy in the old materials. Let me know if any of you have figured out how to achieve these with the new materials.

1. Semi-Transparent materials- pre 2019 has a "Transparency" check box allowing you to specify the amount of transparency a material has. As far as I can tell none of the new material types have this ability, there are Transparent materials or non transparent. There is a translucency setting but that isn't the same thing. So if I want a semi-transparent material to represent say a clearance I can't do that as far as I can tell.

2. Self Illimuniation has been replaced with Emisssivity which doesn't have the ability to set the color temperature which is very important to not have control over so lights don't have differing color temps.

3. Tinting- this feature was extremely helpful to just take one material and make it slightly darker or lighter.

4. Wall Paint- the new paint types are great, but I liked the ability to choose eggshell, flat, etc.

I know all these options still exist, but the little orange markers have generated many help desk tickets asking if something is wrong. I also imagine at some point hopefully autodesk will get rid of them or make them available without the warning icon.

Anyone else try to redo their materials to get rid of these?
    Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

Here's what I will say:

I'm not upgrading to the new materials in my template and libraries, at all.

There is a reason, but unfortunately I can't say what it is. Suffice it to say: I will "eventually" upgrade my template and libraries to whatever the current model "is," but... I don't believe now is the time to do it, based on the information I have available to me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

For Semi-Transparent, can you stick with the older materials, especially for things like clearances? The other thing I've found so far (i.e. after seeing your post) is to adjust the Absorption Distance, although once you get past a couple inches it doesn't seem to matter much.

I haven't had much luck with the others yet :hide:
      Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
      BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
        Here's what I will say:

I'm not upgrading to the new materials in my template and libraries, at all.

There is a reason, but unfortunately I can't say what it is. Suffice it to say: I will "eventually" upgrade my template and libraries to whatever the current model "is," but... I don't believe now is the time to do it, based on the information I have available to me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
        https://media.giphy.com/media/13vPE0A3DPqOcg/giphy.gif
        Greg McDowell Jr
        about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Well I successfully replaced all the materials in the library and they render great. I was able to find solutions to most of the material issues.

Comment

Originally posted by sdbrownaia View Post
            Well I successfully replaced all the materials in the library and they render great. I was able to find solutions to most of the material issues.
            Don't leave us hanging!! What were the solutions?!

chad

Comment

It will be very hard to explain and I didn't solve the issues, I just worked around them so that for now material browser is clean and utilizes all the new material types.

Here goes an explanation
              1. For semi-transparent items like clearance zones I used the base material = Base- Transparent and set the refraction to "Air" and gave it a color, works good. I guess since these are physically based sliders for transparency don't exist so you have to experiment is you transparency more like Air, Water, Glass, etc.colored air.png

2.I haven't solved the color temperature issue so I just ignored that for now. Just used the Emisivity materials and realized that I don't think the "lens" material will really affect the color rendition of the lights of the room only the color of the lense(I put a self illuminating lense material on most light fixtures so you see them as on in renderings.

3. Tinting - This one is only rightly fixed in Photoshop, but for stuff like different color precast I was able to remove the "color" image map and just set a color, then use the roughness and bump maps to acheive realistic precast with diff colors, Same exact process for Stucco(the new system has Wall Texture styles and each can have the color changed as needed). So the place this still doesn't work for me is woods. I really liked the ability to darken woods within revit. But I'll have to use photoshop for that now. Not as quick but better control at the end of the day
              texture.png

4.Wall Paint- I'm using the Wall Texture starting points - ie Stipple, Orange Peel and Knockdown and just tweeking the roughness and reflectance for different flat / glossy, etc.
              paint.png

Comment

Thanks! :beer:

1. For semi-transparent items like clearance zones I used the base material = Base- Transparent and set the refraction to "Air" and gave it a color, works good. I guess since these are physically based sliders for transparency don't exist so you have to experiment is you transparency more like Air, Water, Glass, etc.[ATTACH=CONFIG]38115[/ATTACH]
                That was pretty close to what I found out. I haven't gone through and updated anything yet, but that is probably the route I'll end up going.

3. Tinting - This one is only rightly fixed in Photoshop, but for stuff like different color precast I was able to remove the "color" image map and just set a color, then use the roughness and bump maps to acheive realistic precast with diff colors, Same exact process for Stucco(the new system has Wall Texture styles and each can have the color changed as needed). So the place this still doesn't work for me is woods. I really liked the ability to darken woods within revit. But I'll have to use photoshop for that now. Not as quick but better control at the end of the day
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]38116[/ATTACH]
                Do you prefer using a color with a bump map or an actual texture with the color you are using + bump map? I usually go for the latter, but it would speed things up a little to just use a color.
                side-note: Adjustment Layers in Photoshop are amazing.
                side-note2: PS now has a bump map generation tool that is pretty good. Although now that I think about it I'm pretty sure it was you that told me about it after Bob's class last year at BILT.

4.Wall Paint- I'm using the Wall Texture starting points - ie Stipple, Orange Peel and Knockdown and just tweeking the roughness and reflectance for different flat / glossy, etc.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]38117[/ATTACH]
                I'll take a look. One of these days I'll get to the material libraries

chad

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38116[/ATTACH]
                  I thought the layered shader might work (Miscellaneous/Base Materials/Base Material - Layered) but is buggy at best. My thinking was Base Color: image, then Base Highlights: color and tweak the weight but it is giving mixed results.

Comment