Changing walls to Structural in 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing walls to Structural in 2012

In 2011, one could select a wall (in RAC) and under Structural Usage you could select Non-Bearing, Bearing, Shear and Structural Combined. This made it easy to change a wall type to be visible for our structural folk.

Now in 2012, we have a checkbox to make it Structural. But you have two options, Bearing and Non-Bearing. If you select Non-Bearing it unchecks the Structural box. If you leave it as Bearing, unselect the wall, reselect the wall you have the option of selecting Bearing, Shear and Structural Combined.

What's up with the extra step just to change a wall to Shear or Structural Combined??? :banghead:

Someone's bright idea to make things work better or is it a bug?
    Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

I don't think it behaves this way in RST2012. But I have not used 2012 very much yet. Maybe someone else could verify.
    -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Because your already in RST placing a Structural Wall it already has it all enabled. When your a structural person working in a joint model you have to go the architectural view, select the wall, change to structural, unselect and change to combined so that you can see it on the structural view.

Edit: Tried it in RST...works fine in a structural view...if you create a architectural view and place a partition wall you have to go through the same steps as in RAC.
      Last edited by MPwuzhere; October 6, 2011, 06:41 PM.

Comment

conformed. This is just stupid.
        -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Double confirmed. This is really stupid.
          Dan

Comment

Wild guess here:

What architects do you know that actually set the type to anything other then bearing? As a matter of fact, which architect do you know who can even tell the difference? I'm "guessing" that someone at the factory thought: "let's cut that workflow in two: the architect can change Structural or Architectural, S.E. sets the kind of structural usage".

But that would mean that the S.E. in RST can somehow filter all walls that have just been set to Structural by checking the box. Which gives him a "easy" possibility to check if all walls are set correctly. Is this the case? I don't know... haven't tested it.

OR, it's just another stupid bug... :laugh:
            Martijn de Riet
            Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
            MdR Advies
            Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Our structural likes to see certain walls faded back (via filter) on their plans, but cannot do so unless the walls are set to structural combined. They could change Discipline to Coordination, but then that will hide other objects on their plans (like footings). Since we are going with the "One Model" concept she would have to go to my architectural plans and have to go through the same steps as I would just so she could see a wall on her plans.

And yes, some of us architects (or techs) know what the difference is...and I used to be a structural tech too...

Comment

Well, off course I know the difference too. I used to have a real profession :laugh:
                But I would like to know whether this is intended behaviour. My guess is that you are the victim of Autodesk wanting to bring the wokflow down to the dummy-level for architects who don't know the difference...

Not that I agree with it, cause it's lame.
                Martijn de Riet
                Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                MdR Advies
                Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment