Roof to wall connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roof to wall connection

I have several roof skylights which are clad in standing seam on both the roof and the walls.

The roofs/angled walls were modeled as a roof extrusion, and now I am having trouble properly joining the vertical walls with my roof.

I tried to pull the roof edge back to the inside edge of the metal wall panel, but the top exposed section of the wall did not keep the same angle as the roof and instead went perpendicular to the wall.

Suggestions on how to clean this up?
    Attached Files

Yup: draw an In Place Mass and apply Walls to Face. Works beautifully. Since they are walls you can attach them to the roof (bottom) which cut's them nicely. And they are all the same type so joints aren't a problem.
    Only thing: I hope your roof lights are face based. Cause if they are roof based, you'll need to redo them
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

So then should I model all elements as a wall w/in place masses?

Unfortunately, the roof lights are roof based. I downloaded them from Seek. Guess I'll just have to copy/paste as possible and recreate as a face based family.

Comment

This is the workflow:
        1. Model an in-place mass in the desired form
        2. Use Wall to Face to apply Walls to the Mass faces.

You will be using "real" walls, but you'll use the Mass as a placeholder which makes it possible to use tilted walls.

ps. What does "w/in" mean? :hide:
        Last edited by mdradvies; October 6, 2011, 03:24 PM.
        Martijn de Riet
        MdR Advies

Comment

Right, what I meant was that I should model all of the highlighted elements as walls, not just one of them. Basically there will be no roofs.

w/in means within...anytime you see "w/" and then words it stands for "with..."

Comment

Wow, this is turning into quite the complex wall...

It appears as though if I want all of my walls and roof to join together nicely I need to create a mass for the entire bulkhead: 4 roofs and 5 walls, join them all together and then select each face for a wall.

As my mass gets more complex some of the walls I create are no longer able to be selected...
            Attached Files

Comment

Wow dude, back up...

The first pick was showing a free standing roof light, not a complete roof :laugh:
              When you have a single roof light, I'd create walls. But never convert an entire roof to a wall... Only the "seams" which are placed on a roof face.

Let me see if I can find something which shows my point.
              Martijn de Riet
              MdR Advies

Comment

Haha well I want all of my corners to join smoothly, and it is a free standing roof light, it just happens to take up half of my roof

Anxiously waiting your example...(and hoping I haven't screwed up my model thusfar!)

Comment

Still hoping that you will be able to provide me w/an example

Comment