Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Room Areas and Embedded Curtain Walls or Openings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Room Areas and Embedded Curtain Walls or Openings?

Why are these two rooms reported by Revit to be the same size, when they are clearly not

Same issue if I place an opening in the walls, instead of the curtain walls... Is this really how room areas are supposed to be calculated everywhere else?

And how did I never notice this before...? Have it always been like this? It could potentially cause some major confusions and mistakes, at least here in tiny DK.
    Attached Files
    Klaus Munkholm
    "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

its there a tollance on the area calc?
    -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Nope, it's not because of the missing decimals in the area tag, if that's what you're suggesting?
      Attached Files
      Klaus Munkholm

Comment

There is something else going on (not sure what?). I am NOT seeing the same results.

Maybe the room computational height is intersecting the thicker wall somewhere?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by JeffH; October 4, 2011, 09:34 PM.
        Jeff Hanson
        Sr. Subject Matter Expert
        Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

Is there a "room bounding" setting somewhere? Looks like Munks is picking up the face of walls only.

Another thought. Maybe the height of calculation. If it is above the head height of the door it would calculate as shown.
          Ian Kidston
          http://allextensions.com.au

Comment

Go to Elevation Plan > Select Level Datum > Check the Calculation Height in the properties (and verify that you have the Level your Room is on). Probably set to 0...

EDIT: another possibility: what is the location of your CW? Did you by any chance offset the Mullions and Panels from the location line in the Type Properties? Cause the Area is calculated at the placement of the Location Liine...
            See attached where both rooms have the same Area. Right Curtain Wall has (by illustration) the Mullions and Panels offset by 200mm.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by mdradvies; October 4, 2011, 10:25 PM.
            Martijn de Riet
            Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
            MdR Advies
            Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
              There is something else going on (not sure what?). I am NOT seeing the same results.

Maybe the room computational height is intersecting the thicker wall somewhere?
              Thanks Jeff, but already tried the computation height, and now it's also double and triple checked... Great to see that you're not getting the same result though! That must mean that there's a solution for it somewhere... But where? Everything in my test file is OOTB by the way.

Originally posted by Ian.Kidston View Post
              Is there a "room bounding" setting somewhere? Looks like Munks is picking up the face of walls only.

Another thought. Maybe the height of calculation. If it is above the head height of the door it would calculate as shown.
              Pretty sure it's not the the height of calculation... tried lot's of different values, but no go.

Am attaching the test file, in the case that someone would take a look at it, and tell me what I'm missing here. Thanks. :beer:
              Attached Files
              Klaus Munkholm

Comment

Weirder still... move the curtain wall so it lines up with the interior face and your area increases. Now nudge the curtain wall out and notice the area increases until you get about half way through the wall when it snaps back to the original value! How very strange.
                Greg McDowell Jr
                about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Wow... that is indeed strange... especially when Jeff's CW seems to be aligned with the exterior face, but still getting the area right.

Thanks for checking though :beer:
                  Klaus Munkholm

Comment

Or... (it's hard to tell from the screen dump Jeff provided)... is it because Jeff's walls are much thinner, and thus the location line of the CW is just a tiny bit behind the CL of the wall?
                    Klaus Munkholm

Comment