Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding architectural railing to linked structural model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding architectural railing to linked structural model?

First time on this forum as a member, but I have been here a number of times as I try to learn Revit.

I'm in the middle of a large project and we made an agreement early on with our structural engineer (outside consultant) that their office would model the stair structure and we would "attach" our railing model to it. Well, after hours of trying to do this, I just can't seem to figure it out. Of course, it's the classic case of getting the host, but I can't seem to select their stair to use it as the host, so my railing is horizontal and stuck on the floor level. Any thoughts or suggestions? Some have suggested that I model a stringer to match theirs, but I'm hoping there is another way to do this.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Mike

I would just copy the stair from their model in to your own then put the railing on it.

What you can do is tab to the stair in the linked model then hit ctrl+c then paste same place or paste current view.
    Last edited by gdoherty0102; October 4, 2011, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mja52403 View Post
      First time on this forum as a member, but I have been here a number of times as I try to learn Revit.

I'm in the middle of a large project and we made an agreement early on with our structural engineer (outside consultant) that their office would model the stair structure and we would "attach" our railing model to it. Well, after hours of trying to do this, I just can't seem to figure it out. Of course, it's the classic case of getting the host, but I can't seem to select their stair to use it as the host, so my railing is horizontal and stuck on the floor level. Any thoughts or suggestions? Some have suggested that I model a stringer to match theirs, but I'm hoping there is another way to do this.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
      Mike
      create a sloped floor at necessary height/angle within the stair structure, then place your railing on it. you may need to set working plane first, (i can't remember right now after 3 glasses of red wine) you can then hide the floor element if needed. :wine:
      Last edited by elton williams; October 4, 2011, 01:51 PM.
      There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

You should be able to use the Reset Host command and then tab to the stair even if it's linked...
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
          You should be able to use the Reset Host command and then tab to the stair even if it's linked...
          hi Martijn, is it for RAC only? i just tested using RMEP2011+2012, seems you cannot tab select anything of linked if rehost railing in edit model.

Comment