Varying materials on different instances of a group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Varying materials on different instances of a group

We have a townhouse design (done as a group) which will be repeated across a site and it will utilise three different colour schemes. How would I go about applying three different sets of materials to my group? I realise that I could use design options, however I would end up having just about the entire townhouse in each design option, in which case I may as well just have three different groups. Is there a better way?

Cheers, Brett
    Cheers, Brett

I'm inclined to do all the rendering with one model and making the various changes to create the images you need. Then import the images you want to use in documentation to demonstrate the differences. I'm not certain there is enough "value" in putting all the effort into spreading it around various versions individually?

Comment

I'm doing some streetscapes using shaded views (consistent colours) and was hoping to keep the views live as the groups are in a constant state of flux. The streetscape would encompass all three colour schemes. Therein lies the problem.
      Cheers, Brett

Comment

You could:

Create each townhome with it's color scheme as a separate Revit Project, and then Link them into the Site Project, and change them on the fly.
        You already have them Grouped--so Link them out as Revit Projects, then Link into a Master Site File. You can maintain control over each Townhome model individually, change colors/materials in each, then reload Links to keep up with changes during design.
        Cliff B. Collins
        Registered Architect
        The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
        Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

But that would break the coordination between the townhome instances (which is why I think he grouped them in the first place). Could this work:

Create three separate project files.
          Link in the Townhouse in each of them
          Override Color/Materials by Host File
          Link the Links into the Site Project by Link

(to put it in plain english: use nested links). Never tried this, but if it works, you can use the in-between link to vary the color schedules
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm going to give Martijn's idea a crack as that sounds like the best way to maintain one model with multiple finishes. I'll do some basic testing and let you know how I go.
            Cheers, Brett

Comment

Is it actually possible to override the material definitions of elements in a linked Revit file? I know you can override lines & patterns?
              Cheers, Brett

Comment

As far as I know, you can if you have them set to "by Category" and apply the material in the Object Styles... But like I said, never tried it...
                Martijn de Riet
                Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                MdR Advies
                Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment