Hidden Lines in Families

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hidden Lines in Families

Hi and thanks to everyone who's answered and helped me out so far.

So I have created a precast stadium riser family (see image) and I am going to be creating shop drawing sheets for these (see image). There will be hundreds of them, each on their own sheet.

So I want them to show up on the sheets just like in the image, with hidden lines in certain areas but other lines not showing up at all... and the steel embeds and rebar showing up solid, not hidden. It seems like if I do the "display hidden lines" or simply change the graphic display options, it does it to everything.

So what's the best way to achieve this?

Linework?
    Attached Files

If there are 100's of them I would look for a way that not involves you picking 1000's of lines to make them hidden or solid.
    And because of the amount you can spend a day or so just trying out some stuff because that will be less time then you would spend clicking all those lines.

So detail lines inside the family possibly with different subcategories so you can change them all at once?
    Company Website: www.deurloobm.nl
    Revit Ideas: Is this family Mirrored? | Approve warnings | Family Type parameter just those in the family

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
      If there are 100's of them I would look for a way that not involves you picking 1000's of lines to make them hidden or solid.
      And because of the amount you can spend a day or so just trying out some stuff because that will be less time then you would spend clicking all those lines.

So detail lines inside the family possibly with different subcategories so you can change them all at once?
      Exactly. I need it to be as automated as possible. I don't want to do linework each time. But I am not sure how to add lines to the family and categorize them as you say. When I try to add lines to the family, they come out as projection lines or something that doesn't show up in the project.

Comment

Is it possible to share one of those families, easier to know what you are doing if we can have a look.
        Revit Ideas: Is this family Mirrored? | Approve warnings | Family Type parameter just those in the family

Comment

You can make new sub categories here:

object styles.JPG

Set what they look like in your family and change them in your project if needed. Your project has the same Object Styles window with all the Object Stypes in the project listed by category. For a plan view it will be the [projection] line that determines what everything looks like.

Quick test with some stairs. All the colored lines are detail lines inside the family.

stairs.JPG
          Last edited by Robin Deurloo; August 27, 2019, 06:44 PM.

Comment

That's excellent. I think this is what I will set out to do. Thanks!!!!!

Comment

One more question:

There are lots of lines in the family (edges, chamfers, etc.) that I do not want to show up at all in that sheet view. How do I set it so they don't show up?

Comment

mmm, the only thing I can think of is hide the 3D geometry and just show the 2D line, but that is definitely not what I do myself usually.

Comment

Yeah, the thing is that there are many lines that we detail in other views. these would severely complicate this view. Do I hide the 3D geometry in the family or in the project?

Comment

You can turn the visibility in plan view off in the family. Select the 3D geometry and click the Visibility/Graphics Override button in the properties panel.
                    Tick off the Plan/RCP thingy.

visibility.JPG

You can also choose to turn it off for Fine Detail Level for example. So in your overall plan views, that are in Medium, you will see the 3D data (turn off the sub categories so all the dashed lines are not visible) and in your sheets with just the one stairs, you set that on Fine and the 3D geometry will be hidden and just the 2D lines are visible.

Comment