Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to keep reveals from showing up in plan/section views?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to keep reveals from showing up in plan/section views?

I am struggling with trying to make reveals and sweeps not show up in plan and section views. I have tried to do this through VG by making reveals not visible but the wall still shows the "cut" made by the reveal.
    Just beginning to use reveals and sweeps, so maybe it is just a "newbie" question.

Not possible. Like you said, you'll always see the cut a reveal makes.
    Sweeps are easier, since they generally do not affect the host. You can not show them using the V/G overrides or with a filter.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Just wondering, what are you trying to do exactly? I mean, I know what the question is, but why wouldn't you want them to show in sections and plan if they are, in fact, there?
      Dan

Comment

I agree with dzatto any cut in wall should being shown in section, because that the 2d representation of it in printing. (maybe only it is not necessary to show sweep that not cut the wall in printing).

Comment

...because you are a structural firm and dont give a crap about reveals showing in plan... FFS we only want to see the structural components of a wall in the first place.
          -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Sorry Alex but that doesn't fly.
            Reveals in structural elements should be shown cause they impact the overall strength of the element. And if the reveal is in a non-structural wall, it will not be shown anyway cause the whole wall will not be shown.
            Last edited by mdradvies; September 30, 2011, 07:57 PM.
            Martijn de Riet
            MdR Advies

Comment

a reveal is in no way is ever consitered in any part as any form of structure period. Finishes themselfs do not qualify as structure, they have weight but why in the hell would we want to see a graphic of the walls weight. There is a portion of the wall structure that is designated... "structure" why cant I just show that?

the real problem here is Revit has elements that no one has any graphic control over. Thats a major problem.
              -Alex Cunningham

Comment

What if you have a solid concrete bearing wall with a reveal in it? I would definately want to know it's there if I was going to engineer the wall's reinforcement...

And I don't know how you guys do your modelling, but I will by definition draw structural and non-structural wall layers separately. If I have a masonry wall (standard dutch wall: 100mm bearing masonry, insulation, cavity, 100mm non-bearing masonry) it's drawn in two pieces: bearing masonry and non-bearing part (insulation, cavity and non-bearing masonry).
                Just to be able to control visibility in structural drawings.

Which doesn't mean it would be great to have an option which let's you not show all non-structural layers in system families (cause I draw structural and non-structural floor and roof layers separately too).

EDIT: are we talking about the same stuff here? Reveal being a continuous cutout in a wall like attached???
                Attached Files
                Last edited by mdradvies; September 30, 2011, 08:16 PM. Reason: clarification
                Martijn de Riet
                MdR Advies

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Cunningham View Post
                  ...because you are a structural firm and dont give a crap about reveals showing in plan... FFS we only want to see the structural components of a wall in the first place.
                  Last I checked, this is the RAC section. Not the RST section. So, I'm guessing the OP isn't thinking structurally like you are. But, I could be wrong...
                  Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
                    Last I checked, this is the RAC section. Not the RST section. So, I'm guessing the OP isn't thinking structurally like you are. But, I could be wrong...
                    Not entirely true... I do my structural stuff in RAC too.... (even tiny projects need to not collapse). So I do structural drawings. And Alex is mostly right, but like my attachement shows, it IS structurally significant if you have reveals in bearing walls. Even if the reveal is just 20mm or so, it would be very nice for the guy modelling the reinforcement that it shows or else his minimum concrete cover is completely off...
                    Martijn de Riet
                    MdR Advies

Comment