Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How i can limit visibilty of imported cad to only one view?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How i can limit visibilty of imported cad to only one view?

Hi there, i imported Cad file for purpose of tracing over it. now this cad file showing in all view, so usually i go to view tab--visibilty and graphics and turn off the imported cad file in each view. -- This is boring for me--. Is there anyway that i can limit the visibility of imported cad file to only one view or one floor ((make the cad file not shown on the rest of views with one step)) ?
    Also one more thing, i need to copy and paste each of imported cad file and crop it to the floor i want because the cad file is only one piece containing all floors and elevation ?
    ahmed_hassan
    Last edited by ahmed_hassan; September 29, 2011, 09:55 AM.

When importing, there's a checkbox saying "This view only". Use that. After importing, this cannot be changed anymore.

And yes, you either need to do this:

1. Open CAD-file
    2. Pick a "basepoint" which can be the same for all levels. I usually pick a crossing of two Grid Lines, for instance A-1.
    3. Set UCS to basepoint for level 1. Create a wblock for a level using the same A-1 grid crossing.
    4. Set UCS to basepoint for level 2. And so on...
    5. Open Revit. Set Project Base Point to same point, crossing Grid Line A-1
    6. Import wblock per level, using option Origin to Origin. Use the "This View Only" option and repeat on each level

This will automatically place all dwg's in the correct and same location per level.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

So as i understand i have to make in autocad each floor in separate file , and then import using origin to origin with activate current view only
      is that what do you mean ??
      or i can import the whole file and then crop elevation of cad file on the floor plan inside revit so i crop all what i do not need except ground floor
      can be this ok in revit ?
      and thanks for the tip
      ahmed_hassan
      Last edited by ahmed_hassan; September 29, 2011, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Yes, you need to import per floor. Multiple floors in one dwg won't cut it since they're not located at the same coordinates.
        Martijn de Riet
        MdR Advies

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
          Multiple floors in one dwg won't cut it since they're not located at the same coordinates.
          If you Import each DWG "This View Only", you can move each DWG on each floor around separately.
          But that still won't do ahmed any good, because there is no way to crop just the DWG. You might get lucky and be able to use a Revit Crop Region, but it would also crop the Revit model. It's likely to be more work than it's worth. Martjin's solution is the best. Make separate DWGs of each floor.

Originally posted by ahmed_hassan View Post
          ... the cad file is only one piece containing all floors and elevation ?
          MAN, does it make my blood boil when I open a DWG and see this going on. One of the (many) reasons to hate AutoCAD.
          DaveP
          Last edited by DaveP; September 29, 2011, 02:10 PM.
          Dave Plumb
          BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
            If you Import each DWG "This View Only", you can move each DWG on each floor around separately.
            But that still won't do ahmed any good, because there is no way to crop just the DWG. You might get lucky and be able to use a Revit Crop Region, but it would also crop the Revit model. It's likely to be more work than it's worth. Martjin's solution is the best. Make separate DWGs of each floor.
            True, but what I meant was: if you have 1 dwg, visible in all views, you cannot trace it in different levels since the geometry won't be placed accurately from level to level. In the dwg, Level 2 is not above Level 1. So if you use 1 dwg with multiple levels, and trace those levels in Revit, it will become a mess. If you have a dwg with multiple levels drawn in it, you'll need to copy it around AND MOVE IT around to the correct place.

MAN, does it make my blood boil when I open a DWG and see this going on. One of the (many) reasons to hate AutoCAD.
            Frankly, the only time I see separate dwg's for separate levels/elevations and stuff is when it's exported from either a different program (Archicad) or when a addon for autocad is used (we have several "skin software" to use with autocad which have their own drawing tools, menus and stuff)
            Martijn de Riet
            MdR Advies

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post

Amen brother!

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
              Frankly, the only time I see separate dwg's for separate levels/elevations and stuff is when it's exported from either a different program (Archicad) or when a addon for autocad is used (we have several "skin software" to use with autocad which have their own drawing tools, menus and stuff)
              That's what ACA is for. But still, it's an Autocad program.
              dzatto
              "OMG I killed Revit"
              Last edited by dzatto; September 29, 2011, 02:21 PM.
              Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
                That's what ACA is for. But still, it's an Autocad program.
                Yup, but there are dutch packages too. There are even packages that claim to be BIM software (yes, based on autocad). And the best of it all: they really freak out when you tell the users that it's just not possible to have a "BIM" software based on a platform that is merely a digital drawing board. You get a discussion like this:

Me: "This is not BIM software"
                Guy: "It is BIM, it's 3D"
                Me: "That's not the definition of BIM. The question on whether it's considered a BIM, is based on the information and the consistency thereof"
                Guy: "It's BIM!!! I can have quantity takeoff!!!"
                Me: "Again, not a viable method of defining whether it's BIM or not. It's a nice trick, but it doesn't change the fact that your drawing is merely a set of stupid lines"
                Guy: "I don't care, it's based on Dutch building rules, it has all these standard details with all product information in them."
                Me: "Well, that's my point. It's just a predefined set of tricks. True BIM software has a built-in response to changing parameters cause it's object based. With this software, it only works as long as you comply to the predefined components cause for these there are smart tricks to make it look intelligent."

This is usually the time that they turn red, steam starts emerging from their ears and they start cursing and swearing... :laugh:
                mdradvies
                "Mark Twain"
                Last edited by mdradvies; September 29, 2011, 02:34 PM.
                Martijn de Riet
                MdR Advies

Comment