Insterting Views from File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insterting Views from File

My firm keeps all our Ref details in a project file and then we use the insert from file tool to insert the details we need into the project. I really rather not have our template start with all our details, but right now when I insert (even if I insert the exact same view twice) it duplicates the majority of the detail components to Break Line (1) and such.

I do not understand why Revit thinks these are different and creates a new type every time I insert a new view.

I think I may have a fix for this by just going through and reloading the families, but I am not 100% sure, and would still like some input.

BOOKMARKED THEAD!!!

Very interested about this subject of duplicated families.
    -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Revit making duplicates makes sense to me - afterall you're not bringing in "just" the view, you're bringing in the components within that view, so Revit's got to do something with them - it's not like they're nested shared families within another family that Revit "knows" exist already.

I imagine if it happened the way you were suggesting (straight insert, no replacement, like for like) you'd probably find that equally vexsome at some point.

Still, "select all instances > change type" isn't the hardest of workflows - or even having your reference detail project families being prefixed with something so they don't clash with your template family set (I don't know, something like "REF_Break Line.rfa" ) is a possible way to "dodge" this behaviour.

Comment

Doing select all instance works great for items driven strictly off type parameters, but it seems that instance parameters do not always transfer when changing the type from one to another.

There is a note in revit that says something along the lines that the family already exists, we will be using the one already loaded in the project.

Comment

Originally posted by gdoherty0102 View Post
          Doing select all instance works great for items driven strictly off type parameters, but it seems that instance parameters do not always transfer when changing the type from one to another.
          Ugh! One of the reasons I really dislike OOTB Revit Weld symbols! Grrrrr.
          Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
          AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional
          ACAD2021, RST2014-2021 / Windows 10, 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by LeanneZ View Post
            Ugh! One of the reasons I really dislike OOTB Revit Weld symbols! Grrrrr.
            HAHAHA Leanne, this is exactly what I had in mind. 1/2 the time it wipes my weld symbols clean then other 1/2 it leaves them alone.
            -Alex Cunningham

Comment

To keep the revit files clean, I've just taken it upon myself to go through and clean up the (#) files whenever we insert view from file.

We also store all of our typical drafting views in other files and use this method. The main issue is that sometimes you have to select all instances, then go manage-> ID's of Selection, copy those, then paste into Select by ID and click Show. Helps to find those pesky symbols or Detail components that just don't seem to go away.
              Adam Hutchinson
              Engineer in Training
              Integrus Architecture, P.S.

Comment

I don't think this can be solved any other way then manually replacing them. Just too much to consider:

Are they the same families, or just named similar? I suppose Revit could check this by looking at the components GUIDS. But even then, what if one is altered afterwards?
                Are the parameter values the same? Not so important for instance parameters, but it is for type parameters.

Frankly, I think that if you WOULD have Revit check that stuff, importing views (or families for that matter) would be taking freakishly long...
                Martijn de Riet
                Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                MdR Advies
                Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Theyre different. Somewhere in Object Styles, somewhere in instance parameter land, somewhere in "sliding the dimension over here a little bit..." They are different. If you open the component and load it in to both projects at the exact same time, and then use IFV, it should work fine. It takes meticulous management to keep that ship sailing...
                  Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                  @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by gdoherty0102 View Post
                    Doing select all instance works great for items driven strictly off type parameters, but it seems that instance parameters do not always transfer when changing the type from one to another....
                    My experiance is Revit will never transfer the values of instance parameters when swapping the familiy with another unless they are Shared Parameters.
                    Alex Page
                    RevitWorks Ltd
                    Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment