Property Lines and Rounding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property Lines and Rounding

I've got a survey with several lots and the means and bearings of lines that place them relative to each other.

Because I don't want DWG in my Revit files (see many other threads on this before going there) I enter all of the distances and bearings in the Property Lines dialog. It takes 8 separate tables to get all of the lines generated. But, when I start moving the lines and lots to match up with each other I get small gaps -- sometimes as small as 0.007 feet (barely 1/16") in alignments.

I know it's a rounding error from the survey (I traced over a linked file and upped the decimal accuracy to find values out to one trillionth of a foot) but WTH am I supposed to do? This is a legal description that, technically, doesn't actually work -- practically sure but if I am going to export my file back out to the civil our property lines aren't going to match.

Is this one of the areas where we bite the bullet and trace a linked file?
    Greg McDowell Jr
    about.me/GMcDowellJr

In 20 years I've had exactly one survey that closed properly. I just close the gap and don't document the rounding error. The next survey will not get the same numbers anyway.
    ​My ID was stolen. Now I'm only called Dav

Comment

LOL -- yeah, that's what a colleague told me as well. Revit says it closes but if you get close enough you see it doesn't really close.
      Greg McDowell Jr
      about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Originally posted by GMcDowellJr
        ...Revit says it closes but if you get close enough...
        It hurts when I look too close, stop looking too close!

The zoom function is a great distraction, especially when the not closing is covered up by the snail crawling by...

Comment

And especially when it's far away from the origin.
          Those are sometimes just display issues, not actual geometric errors
          Dave Plumb
          BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
            And especially when it's far away from the origin.
            Those are sometimes just display issues, not actual geometric errors
            I’m on top of the Revit origin. I’m certain it’s a rounding issue because when I trace over the DWG everything is tight.

Seems odd for me to tell people how important it is to not round dimensions and in the neat breath excuse away rounding on site issues. That same snail covers 1/16” on buildings as well as sidewalks.

Guess I’ll have to either leave it alone, cheat it, or trace it.
            Greg McDowell Jr
            about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Personally, id leave the gap in it.

Last time i checked, the "property line" shown in an architectural drawing is essentially for reference only, as the building is getting PLACED on site, per Civil. So make sure your buildings coordinates are correct, and match up with civil, and who cares if the property line closes or not?

If people in the office *feel better* about it, than sure: Trace away. And then have to deal with whatever else comes with it. But the project isnt going to get put at the wrong place on site because of that gap. The field layout team that places a cuilding based on an architectural drawing is the one thats probably out of a job in a week, anyway.
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
              @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Site work drives me nutz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Greg McDowell Jr
                about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Originally posted by GMcDowellJr
                  ...Seems odd for me to tell people how important it is to not round dimensions and in the neat breath excuse away rounding on site issues. That same snail...
                  It’s called humor see if you can Google what that is.

Aaron answered more seriously and I agree with his answer.
                  Steve_Stafford
                  Mr. Revit OpEd
                  Last edited by Steve_Stafford; March 3, 2019, 07:49 AM.

Comment

If one really wants to understand why there is a “gap” spend a year working on a survey crew. When your talking about measurements over log distances that have both rounding and the human factor. The idea that all the math works out exactly is just Not feasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment