Dimension string not snapping to center of curtain wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimension string not snapping to center of curtain wall

Is there a way to get a dimension string to snap to the center of a created curtain wall? We often use curtain walls and customize them, to use as storefronts and regular windows.

It appears as though Revit "knows" where the center is, because when I draw a line through the window, it snaps to the center, (shows a triangle indicating the center).

Is there a way to edit the family, or do something in order to allow dimension strings to snap to the center point?

There are a lot of windows that need to be dimensioned, I could as a work around draw a line through the center and have the dimension line snap to that, but I really want to avoid this in case we move windows around. It will just get messy.

When you say Centre - Do you mean centre Front / back, or Centre Left / Right?
    Dwane

Comment

Since you mention a triangle, I presume you mean "Midpoint", not Center.
      That's something Revit uses as an Object Snap, but doesn't really exist as a physical object, so there's nothing to dimension to.
      What, exactly is it that you're trying to Dimension? Is it really the middle of the wall? Or are you trying to get at the center of the Panel?
      If it is the Panel, you'll need to edit your Curtain Wall Panel family and add a Reference Line (or Plane). then add an EQ dimension so it remains in the center regardless of size.
      Dave Plumb
      BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Thank you for your help. This is what I was looking for.

Yes, I do mean midpoint. I am trying to dimension the center of the openings on the exterior face of the building, so that would be the center of the panel. So, now I am trying to edit the curtain wall panel per your advice. It looks as though the Edit feature is grayed out. In the project browser, it is under "Families" > Curtain Panels > System Panel > Glazed.

Do you know how I could edit this and add that dimension?

Thank you

Comment

You can't edit the System Panels, but you can create a new Curtain Panel from the family templates.
          I believe that one already has a centered Reference Plane
          Dave Plumb

Comment

but, what if the center of your curtain panel is not at the center of your curtain wall??
            I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

Originally posted by katewood1989 View Post
              Thank you for your help. This is what I was looking for.

Yes, I do mean midpoint. I am trying to dimension the center of the openings on the exterior face of the building, so that would be the center of the panel. So, now I am trying to edit the curtain wall panel per your advice. It looks as though the Edit feature is grayed out. In the project browser, it is under "Families" > Curtain Panels > System Panel > Glazed.

Thank you
              Build a family from the cw panel template. Faster though just adding a small detail line to dimension to.
              Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Originally posted by katewood1989 View Post
                I am trying to dimension the center of the openings on the exterior face of the building, so that would be the center of the panel. So, now I am trying to edit the curtain wall panel per your advice. It looks as though the Edit feature is grayed out. In the project browser, it is under "Families" > Curtain Panels > System Panel > Glazed.

Hi Kate,

It seems as though you are trying to edit a system family, the Glazed panel that is under the 'System Panel' is definitely a System Family (non-editable), that is why the "Edit" is grayed out. It would be best if you could create your own curtain panel and then make use of the reference plane called 'Centre Left/Right' (it is there by default in the family template). This will allow you to dimension to the centre of the panel.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwuzhere View Post
                  Faster though just adding a small detail line to dimension to.
                  Shame on you!
                  Dave Plumb

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
                    Shame on you!
                    :laugh: :beer:
                    Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment