incompatible version family files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

incompatible version family files

New computer last week with new installs of Revit 2017 and 2018.

Currently working on a project in 2017 and I needed to load a family. I got the error:
    "The file W-Wide Flange.rfa was saved in a later version of Revit and cannot be retrieved in this version."

I know that Revit files are not backwards compatible. But I'm curious. If 2017 was installed first, could an install of 2018 overwrite my 2017 family files? I checked the path for the family files and they are going to my RVT 2017 folder, so I'm curious why I'm getting this error unless my 2017 families were overwritten by 2018 families.

Any ideas how/where to get my 2017 families back?
    Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
    AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional
    ACAD2021, RST2014-2021 / Windows 10, 64-bit

I havent ever actually seen a Revit install write over old content, especially since the content gets installed in a different directory. But sometimes people use EDIT FAMILY in the new version of revit, not realizing that edit family doesnt path to your library, but where the file was loaded from. if you are in a project that was upgraded, that means the 2017 library. So if you (or anyone with write access) has hit Edit Family and then save, its totally possible to write over the libraries.

Go check the folder and look at date modified?
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

most of the family files in that folder have dates of 1/18/2017, which matches the date of the family files in my RVT 2018 folder. I may have to go back to my old CPU and save off the 2017 libraries from there and replace on this one.
      AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional

Comment

If you look at your install files do you see anything like that in the attached?

I've never heard of a later version overwriting the family files from a prior version, and there are generally earlier versions installed on a computer when installing the latest version.

Is it possible that you installed the 2018 version before the 2017 version. The 2017 version might have seen that it was installed already, and not installed it.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tim123 View Post
          If you look at your install files do you see anything like that in the attached?

I've never heard of a later version overwriting the family files from a prior version, and there are generally earlier versions installed on a computer when installing the latest version.

Is it possible that you installed the 2018 version before the 2017 version. The 2017 version might have seen that it was installed already, and not installed it.
          Unfortunately, I was not the one who did installations, so I can't answer which was installed first. And I'm pretty sure the person doing the installing wouldn't have realized there may be a version compatibility issue.

Comment

[ ManOfSteel ] I have so many question. [ /ManOfSteel ]

1. Thats a weird directory to have the Content stored in.
            2. Why would content be on the C Drive anyway?
            3. The content libs all having the date modified thats the date of the later install may mean that they wrote over the content libraries directory. if they did that but ALSO installed the older versions of the content library, that wouldnt be a big deal.
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
            @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by LeanneZ View Post
              New computer last week with new installs of Revit 2017 and 2018.

Currently working on a project in 2017 and I needed to load a family. I got the error:
              "The file W-Wide Flange.rfa was saved in a later version of Revit and cannot be retrieved in this version."

I know that Revit files are not backwards compatible. But I'm curious. If 2017 was installed first, could an install of 2018 overwrite my 2017 family files? I checked the path for the family files and they are going to my RVT 2017 folder, so I'm curious why I'm getting this error unless my 2017 families were overwritten by 2018 families.

Any ideas how/where to get my 2017 families back?
              Hi I had the same problem a few months ago after a Revit 2019 installation, Nor our IT guy nor me know what happened, only sure thing is this arrived once the Revit 20019 was installed, is curious to see that this can happen to other Revit versions, I had a security copy of the OOTB Families, and as I store my personal libraries in our server those families wasn't affected for that non voluntary update.

As I wasn't able to reproduce the problem I thought the maybe I overwrite those families while the installation process was going on.

I've asked in this forum in order to know if any other user have had the same issue with no luck!, hope somebody here have an answer, Regards
              Andres Franco
              Forum Addict
              Last edited by Andres Franco; January 31, 2019, 08:14 AM.
              Andres Franco - Architect - BIM Coordinator
              Revit Certified Professional - AutoCAD Certified Professional
              "I became insane, with long intervals of horribly sanity"
              E.A Poe

Comment

Originally posted by LeanneZ View Post
                most of the family files in that folder have dates of 1/18/2017, which matches the date of the family files in my RVT 2018 folder. I may have to go back to my old CPU and save off the 2017 libraries from there and replace on this one.
                If you do, I'd highly recommend getting a copy of Beyond Compare
                https://www.scootersoftware.com/features.php
                I've used and plugged that program for years. Fantastic way to compare two folders & see what's newer and/or different.
                Dave Plumb
                BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                  [ ManOfSteel ] I have so many question. [ /ManOfSteel ]

1. Thats a weird directory to have the Content stored in.
                  2. Why would content be on the C Drive anyway?
                  3. The content libs all having the date modified thats the date of the later install may mean that they wrote over the content libraries directory. if they did that but ALSO installed the older versions of the content library, that wouldnt be a big deal.
                  Our content is not stored here - they are on our server. However, I'm pointing to our Installation files, not the content files (which are also on the server actually, not the C drive).

Comment