Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window over door

Evening all

What is the best way to achieve a door "light", that is, a window over a door? Using separate window and door families together is producing mixed results...the wall doesn't seem to like it much. Is there a bespoke family out there somewhere?

Good morning...

My people call this a "transom". I think there are some mediocre OOTB families & might be some around elsewhere.

Comment

We also use a transom in the door family. There are a couple different ways to do this. One is to make the transom part of the door family. The other is to have a separate transom family nested into the door family. Some of the guys here have made both kinds. I have yet to decide which I like better.

Comment

I would suggest looking into nested, shared families. This will allow you to tag the window separately or as one unit with the door if needed and allows you the ability to easily move the transom with the door.
        .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

Comment

Once of the main philosophies with Revit modeling is "Model it the way you'd build it".
          If your transom is going to be purchased and installed as a separate unit from the door, it should be two families.
          If you are buying one unit, with one frame encompassing both the door and the transom, it should be one Revit family.
          Dave Plumb
          BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
            If your transom is going to be purchased and installed as a separate unit from the door, it should be two families.
            I'm just going to interject on this point (not really disagree). Since shared families can be separately tagged, I would modify this to say "If your transom is going to be purchased and installed as a separate unit from the door, it should be INDIVIDUALLY TAGGABLE." Meaning that you can tag the window as a window and the door as a door. Nesting the transom into the door family allows you to not only manage the location of both easily but also to use a single set of parameters to drive the dimensions of both.
            .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

Comment

I'd go with any infill in a wall opening. Nested component. You have two things here:

- Model coordination and integrity. Which would require one family.
              - Actual build conditions. Which might require two different parts.

So the nested component might either be just a panel infill for the transom with one frame (door and transom combined) or a nested transom, including framing, into the door family. Which one depends on the actual construction of the entire thing.

But that's just my 2ct
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Ours are part of the Frames... The way we buy them.
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment