Cased Opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cased Opening

Cannot seem to load this cased opening...category problem? Family ships with the Door library.
    Attached Files

No problem here.. The geometry is however hidden in coarse view.. Maybe that's your problem?

Comment

Originally posted by assem View Post
      Cannot seem to load this cased opening...category problem? Family ships with the Door library.
      This family must be loaded and placed as a component family, othwise you will get "not of the correct category" types of errors. It is in the door folder of the installed content but it is not actually a "door" because you typically do not want it to schedule as a door.
      Jeff Hanson
      Sr. Subject Matter Expert
      Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
        This family must be loaded and placed as a component family, othwise you will get "not of the correct category" types of errors. It is in the door folder of the installed content but it is not actually a "door" because you typically do not want it to schedule as a door.
        So that's why it's like that! I always wondered why it's in the door folder, but it's a component. That makes total sense now. :laugh:
        Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
          I always wondered why it's in the door folder, but it's a component.
          I am not sure of the historical reason it ended up there. I assume it was selected to go there because one might kind of think of a cased opening like a door. It kind of makes some sense. It is just as good there as anywhere else I suppose. It is just too bad it is confusing once you try and insert it. you have to remember it is a component.
          Jeff Hanson

Comment

Still no joy..

I just open a fresh project, draw an internal wall, try to load the cased opening family, and get attached error.

(I think it just hates me)
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by assem View Post
              Still no joy..

I just open a fresh project, draw an internal wall, try to load the cased opening family, and get attached error.

(I think it just hates me)
              Are you in the door command and then try loading the cased opening family? If so this is wrong and you will get this error. Try it this way. With nothing selected go to the insert tab of the ribbon. Now select load family. Navigate to the location of the cased opening family and load it into the project. Now go back to the home tab and select the component tool. On the type selector select the cased opening family. Place into wall where needed.

The cased opening is NOT a door, so when you are attempting to load it while in the door command you get the error because the object you are selecting is NOT a door. It is a COMPONENT.
              Jeff Hanson

Comment

Ok great - thanks Jeff. I wasn't actually trying to load as a door. I was trying to load as a component from the Home tab (but hadn't done Insert Tab > Load Family first).

What I don't understand (but v glad it works) is that you have to go Insert Tab > Load Family, and can't go 'directly' in from Home Tab > Component > Load Family.

A last thing: using your steps, when I went Home Tab > Component (having already done Insert Tab > Load Family) the cased opening still did not appear in the type selector in the Properties palette. I had to right-click on the expanded Family in the Project Browser and use "Create Instance" in that contextual menu. Probably not the right or the easiest way? Sorry if this is lame/basic stuff..
                Attached Files

Comment

For what it is worth, you can make you own cased opening as a door family. Given that by definition a cased opening has trim, and is often scheduled as a door (in my experience), this can be a better approach. I have gone so far as to make a non cased opening (i.e. the gyp just wraps the hole) as a door as well, and my standard door schedule filters these out. Because in the end, a cased opening is anything but a "component". It is a site built opening, it doesn't come in a box ready for installation, etc.
                  BUT, if you don't want to fuss with filtering schedules, cased opening as component makes sense, and I am nearly certain that was the original logic, perhaps before filtering of schedules was even possible. At which point the OOTB stuff will work, as Jeff points out.

Gordon
                  Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Gordon's comments are consistent with the history of the opening family. The opening was separate because early on the feedback was that openings were not wanted in schedules so choosing the Generic Model category meant it was automatically restricted from schedules. "Cased" meaning decorative trim (possibly) or just a taped dressed opening as opposed to a door frame missing a panel and hinges. Unfortunately that what's easy for schedules make it confusing for someone who wants to put it in the model.

Comment