Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creating a stacked wall, stuck in tutorial; again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a stacked wall, stuck in tutorial; again.

Still following the tutorial, and I'm creatving a stacked wall. However, as soon as I finish step six, I can't figure what the heck the author is talking about! It's been driving me mad!

There is no offset option in the Edit Assembly!!!

From the book:
    Now it’s time to start building the stacked wall. Since we have two walls to
    work with, we can specify them in the Edit Assembly dialog for the stacked wall.
    The objective of the next procedure is to join the 18″ soffit wall with the 6 1/8″
    partition wall.
    1. On the Home tab, click the Wall button.
    2. Scroll down the Type Selector until you arrive at Stacked Wall: Exterior - Brick Over CMU w Metal Stud, and select it.
    3. Click Edit Type.
    4. Click Duplicate.
    5. Call the new wall Recessed Wall, and click OK.
    6. Click Edit in the Structure row.
    LOST - 7. For Offset, select Finish Face: Interior.
    8. In the Types area, change Wall 1 to 18″ Soffit Wall.
    9. Change Wall 2 to Interior - 6 1/8″ Partition (2-Hr).
    10. Change Height to 5’–6”.

Any ideas as to what the author is trying to do or go about it? Thank you guys very much for all your help and support!

You should see and Offset column in the list of layers in the wall. There will be Name, Height, Offset, Top, Base, Flip. Although I thought the offset in a stacked wall was always numerical rather than finish face etc.
    Michael
    Canberra, Australia

Comment

Hi,

I think, what he is trying to say, it set the walls to align to the "Finish Face: Interior" Look at the picture...

This is the point in the wall, where to the Offset value is calculated from.. And if it is set to zero, the two walls align at what ever it has been set to. Being Exterior, Core Center, Wall Center ect..
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Munkholm; September 22, 2011, 07:26 AM. Reason: Fixed Attachment

Comment

But this is what I'm getting. Don't get me wrong, this book is for 2011, while I'm using 2012, but I don't think that's the problem.

If it is, can someone help me with the transition for this problem?

Here's what I'm looking at:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Munkholm; September 22, 2011, 09:10 AM. Reason: Fixed Attachment

Comment

Dude, you're not creating a stacked wall... It's a normal (Basic) Wall. Go back one screen to the Type Properties, select the top field and turn it into Stacked Wall. Now try again.. :thumbsup:
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Such a simple solution for me missing something so simple. Thank you so much! Huge help!

Anyone have any ideas on 'step 2' books? I'm currently finishing the Wiley no experience. I'm looking for something that will take me a step further in the same 'hands on' lessons.

Any ideas?

Thanks as always!

Comment

No probs... We all did our share of :banghead: while just overlooking something that stupid... At least I know I did!

As for the books, you might want to try "Mastering Revit" series from Sybex. Found it a great book.
              But the best hands-on thing is to model your own house as if it were a reallife building project. From top to bottom. Great site to help you set this up is Revit Detail
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment