Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curtain walls not joining

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Curtain walls not joining

    I have two curtain wall systems that meet at an angle but the joints are inconsistent. I would like the horizontal mullions to look continuous and the glass to butt together without a vertical mullion at the joint. But in no circumstance is the glass butting together. There’s always a sizable gap. Sometimes, the mullions will automatically join as expected, but sometimes they won’t. I am using the same System Family for all Curtainwall.
    I am wondering if the Vertical Mullion Type within the CurtainWall System Family should be set to something other than “none.” But since I do not want a vertical mullion at the joint, I have left it at “None.”
    I have NOT disallowed joining.
    I have attached two images to help explain. Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files

    #2
    Originally posted by Tsquared View Post
    I have two curtain wall systems that meet at an angle but the joints are inconsistent. I would like the horizontal mullions to look continuous and the glass to butt together without a vertical mullion at the joint. But in no circumstance is the glass butting together. There’s always a sizable gap. Sometimes, the mullions will automatically join as expected, but sometimes they won’t. I am using the same System Family for all Curtainwall.
    I am wondering if the Vertical Mullion Type within the CurtainWall System Family should be set to something other than “none.” But since I do not want a vertical mullion at the joint, I have left it at “None.”
    I have NOT disallowed joining.
    I have attached two images to help explain. Thanks for your help.
    while I'm not a Revit expert I have been detailing curtain walls with Revit for a couple of years. I have fought this curtain wall idiosyncrasy for all of that time. I don't believe that there is any way possible to have a Revit curtain wall miter glass at a butt glazed corner. I'd love for someone to pop in and tell me that I'm wrong. Just part of the joy of using Revit curtain wall
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

    Comment


      #3
      Instances such as these is why I just create a windows family instead of using a curtain wall....
      Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

      Comment


        #4
        You might check here:

        Revit OpEd: Curtain Wall - Corner Butt Glazing Condition

        Curtain wall butt glazing - AUGI

        AUGI
        Cliff B. Collins
        Registered Architect
        The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
        Autodesk Expert Elite

        Comment


          #5
          the first link I'd seen and for me it's an unacceptable work around (thanks for posting it though). The second link to Phil Read's post I hadn't seen before and there is no explanation about how he accomplished the very nice mitered curtain panel corner. I've got to dissect his file and figure out how he did it. Revit curtain wall is a continual journey
          I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
            the first link I'd seen and for me it's an unacceptable work around (thanks for posting it though). The second link to Phil Read's post I hadn't seen before and there is no explanation about how he accomplished the very nice mitered curtain panel corner. I've got to dissect his file and figure out how he did it. Revit curtain wall is a continual journey
            nope, another dead end for me. Probably OK for the OP though. Phil Read's mitered panels are made from walls and won't schedule as curtain panels.
            I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

            Comment


              #7
              A long time ago, I used this technique to "free up corners" of curtainwalls, but it was for ribbon-glazing in a wall, with butt glazed corners:

              Place openings in the 2 walls which form the corner, make them "align" at the corner. Then insert the curtain walls. The curtainwall is now "free" since it is inside theopening; not embedded into the wall--and doesn't "try to join"at the corners. I think the "disallow join" was not even required.

              Now I suppose this may not work well for full height glazing, as there would be a "fake" host wall--that could be put on another Phase, or on a Workset and turned off, or Filtered and turned off, etc.............
              Cliff B. Collins
              Registered Architect
              The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
              Autodesk Expert Elite

              Comment


                #8
                A curtain panel with angles at both ends, with 2 types, one for left, one for right. Clean butt joint; panels can be tagged and scheduled normally.
                Attached Files
                Alfredo Medina
                Forum Co-Founder
                Last edited by Alfredo Medina; September 20, 2011, 07:40 PM.
                Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
                  A curtain panel with angles at both ends, with 2 types, one for left, one for right. Clean butt joint; panels can be tagged and scheduled normally.
                  thanks Alf, that's what I've been looking for!
                  I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
                    A curtain panel with angles at both ends, with 2 types, one for left, one for right. Clean butt joint; panels can be tagged and scheduled normally.
                    Not to be nitpicking, but that's not how it's made over here... Way to expensive to create glass plates with an angle... And you need a sealant.
                    Why not use the L-corner Mullion to create a sealant?

                    btw: when you create a cornered CW-connection they automatically join. If the horizontal mullions aren't automatically joining too, you need to toggle the Mullion Join. Select the Horizontal Mullion and click the #-icon.
                    Attached Files
                    mdradvies
                    Moderator
                    "Mark Twain"
                    Last edited by mdradvies; September 20, 2011, 10:16 PM.
                    Martijn de Riet
                    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                    MdR Advies
                    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X