Can schedules reference each other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can schedules reference each other

Can I reference one schedule from another like Excel worksheets can? eg. = Sheet2!c23.
    Thanks in advance.
    Anthony.

Nope. There are workarounds. Depends on what you need? Could you elaborate some more?
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I did think the answer was No.

We want our schedules to show 1 the count, and 2 the total area of the different tenancy types for each level of our building. The tenancy types include: Retail, Commercial, Common Space, Studio, 1 Bed, 2 Bed, 3 Bed etc. I can get it to report what it finds on each level, but I want it to report the 0 occurrences.

In other words, I want to show a chart that shows that on the Ground Floor there are x number of Retail and Commercial spaces but zero Apartments. Then up the tower there are y number of 2 Bed apartments but zero Commercial spaces.

My work around to achieve this: create a set of dummy areas, one for each tenancy type; place an instance of these on each level outside the clip region; create a schedule to catch all the areas; create a schedule to catch the dummy areas; export both the schedules to .txt; import both the schedules to Excel; link the data in different Excel sheets and perform the maths to give me a chart showing my desired resultant counts and areas. It works, but if it could be done inside Revit that would be better.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony.

Comment

Use a Key Schedule
        Set up a Key Schedule with all the different types of functions you have
        Create a Schedule which includes the Key Value and Description. You get a Schedule with 2 columns filled with different area types and corresponding Key Value (for instance: Retail | 1, Commercial | 2, and so on)
        Create your Area Schedule. Include the Key Value and Description as Fields. Now you can set the Description by changing the Key value.
        Add Calculated Parameters:

Area Retail = if(Key Value = 1, Area,0)
        Area Commercial = if(Key Value =2, Area, 0)
        And so on

Add Level parameters, sort by Level and put in Totals as needed.
        Martijn de Riet
        MdR Advies

Comment

Thank you very much. I'll check that out. Much appreciated.
          Anthony.

Comment

Martijn,
            Thank you for your detailed reply.
            I have checked out and think I understand key schedules.
            And I can link it into my normal area schedule.
            But I cannot use the Key Value (Key Name on my version) in a Calculated Value. It tells me that "... Only numerical, Yes/No, and text fields can be used in formulas." So it does not appear that the field is coming through as either a numerical value or as a text. Any ideas on this would be much appreciated.
            Regards,
            Anthony.

Comment

Instead of using the Key Name, add a second parameter to the Key Schedule, for instance Key Number. Make it an integer parameter and code all different options with it. For instance:
              Key Name = Commercial => Key number = 1
              Key Name = Retail => Key number = 2
              And so on.

After this: in your Area Schedule, add the parameter Key Number. Now you can do the if-command referencing the Key Number value. This solves your problem.
              Martijn de Riet
              MdR Advies

Comment

Not sure if this is useful, but you can do some static parameter references to a custom Project Parameter to get you out of trouble. It is a bit of an anti-BIM method though:
                What Revit Wants: Accessing Project Parameters in Multiple Schedules (Jay Polding)
                Luke Johnson | Autodesk Expert Elite Member
                Author of What Revit Wants

Comment

Thanks Luke: interesting secret feature.

Thank you Martijn: That did work and I can now get my zero areas in the schedule. Great!

I still can't get it to give me the zero counts as Count is not an available field for Calculated Values. If I make a schedule for each tenancy type I can get the counts for each floor - but only when there are > 0. I think this is probably the limit.
                  Thanks very much for your help.
                  Cheers,
                  Anthony.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Munkholm; October 4, 2011, 09:20 AM. Reason: Fixed inline attachment

Comment

Thanks Luke: interesting secret feature.

Thank you Martijn: That did work and I can now get my zero areas in the schedule. Great!

I still can't get it to give me the zero counts as Count is not an available field for Calculated Values. If I make a schedule for each tenancy type I can get the counts for each floor - but only when there are > 0. I think this is probably the limit.
                    Thanks very much for your help.
                    Cheers,
                    Anthony.
                    Last edited by Munkholm; October 4, 2011, 09:21 AM. Reason: Fixed inline attachment

Comment