Struggling with Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggling with Filters

Haven't made much use of filters but I am starting to get the feeling that you can do a lot with them. Here is my scenario. A renovation project using two phases, existing and new. Demolition is being done as part off the new phase, phase filtered as Show Previous+ Demo. Due to the nature of the demo we have demolition sections. We also have new sections. The new sections are showing up on the demo and the demo sections are showing up on the new.

Rather than individually hiding sections in the views, I figure there has to be a way to filter the sections between demo and new but I just can't seem to grasp this concept. Can someone explain to me how to use filters to do this?

Thanks.

In VG, Create a new Filter, called Sections - Existing
    Edit it to include Sections
    Set up Filter Parameters to include Sections and by Phase-Existing
    Place a new Section Mark, and change its Phase to Existing
    Apply the Filter to you View in VG
    Uncheck Visibility in VG>FiltersSee attached.
    Create a View Template which includes Filters, apply to all views as required.

Edit: Hmm........something is not quite right. Perhaps Gordon has the workaround?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cliff collins; September 19, 2011, 07:18 PM.
    Cliff B. Collins
    Registered Architect
    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

You can't filter annotations on Phase but you can use the workflow described in this post by Gordon...
      Martijn de Riet
      Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
      MdR Advies
      Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

I highly recomend taking a good look at the blog post Martijn post a few weeks back.
        Here
        -Alex Cunningham

Comment

I think the key here is to create a new Section Type, and Filter it's visibility--the Phasing requirement throws in a bit more complexity........
          Cliff B. Collins
          Registered Architect
          The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
          Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

I'll play with it some more. Would it just be easier if I created an actual Demo phase? That way any sections created in THAT phase would only appear on other views in THAT phase.

I kind of hate to do that. I've run into problems with having a separate phase for demolition.

Comment

Well, I know the powers that be wouldn't approve but I have never met problems that couldn't be overcome. And they are still vastly outweighed by the pro's.
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

I went ahead and created a new section type, Building Section Demo and filtered it that way. It works and I like it. Thanks for the tips. I would have never thought about creating a new section type.

Comment

We create a view category in the project browser called " On Sheet"
                  We then create a filter to hide all sections that do not have this category filled out in the view properties. Basically hides all sections used for reference. This filter is a part of our view template so reference sections only show on working views and not views placed on sheets.
                  Andrew Harp
                  BIM Manager GHD
                  If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you.
                  If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.

Comment

Originally posted by renogreen View Post
                    I'll play with it some more. Would it just be easier if I created an actual Demo phase? That way any sections created in THAT phase would only appear on other views in THAT phase.

I kind of hate to do that. I've run into problems with having a separate phase for demolition.
                    Yes, just create a demo phase... then your phase filter will work fine. Creating a new type will work, but not the best method as it will not be automated like phasing.

Comment