Floor edge at top of stair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floor edge at top of stair

What are people doing with their floor edges at the top of their stairs? When you have some sort of a nosing profile and nosing length, then when you have your stairs set to end with riser, the floor slab edge overhangs the riser.
    Do you apply a custom floor slab edge sweep? Do you leave it and refer to details that show it correctly?

Thoughts, opinions?

Slab Edge, custom profile.
    Cliff B. Collins
    Registered Architect
    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Same as Cliff
      Martijn de Riet
      Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
      MdR Advies
      Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

except make mine Tilted...........:crazy:
        Cliff B. Collins
        Registered Architect
        The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
        Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Originally posted by cliff collins View Post
          except make mine Tilted...........:crazy:
          That goes without saying...
          You would have a real hard time here in holland. Our building codes don't like tilted. In fact, I'd be surprised if you could get into the country at all...
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Thanks everyone. Tilted it is then.

Comment

Originally posted by t1shep View Post
              What are people doing with their floor edges at the top of their stairs? When you have some sort of a nosing profile and nosing length, then when you have your stairs set to end with riser, the floor slab edge overhangs the riser.
              Do you apply a custom floor slab edge sweep? Do you leave it and refer to details that show it correctly?

Thoughts, opinions?
              My thought is that one shoudnt end stairs with a riser when you have conrete slabs since its harder for the contractors to pour the slab with a nice and neat sloped edge. Unfortunately thou, if you dont end with a riser, in Revit you cant join the stair to the floor so in plan you get an extra line which is increadibly confusing and dangerous. You have to go into every view and override the line.
              Alex Page
              RevitWorks Ltd
              Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment

I like to finish with a tread in most instances. I often show the top tread shorter with most of my stairs being timber. I find that best practice is to model it how you would build it. Try to match the construction and create a model true to the finished build. There is of course the issue of the additional line which may be interpreted as another riser. The shorter tread depth may help to distinguish it (50mm or 100mm) or as Alex says, use linework.

I would probably only modify the slab edge if that is how it was being built. If you have a concrete stairs that finishes to the underside of the floor then the slab edge may be slanted to match the stair risers but I still wouldn't end with riser on the stair type.
                `Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for'
                Socrates

Comment