Surface pattern goes black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surface pattern goes black

I used stone surface pattern from StoneCAD library. Imported pattern looks fine in material editor, but applied on the wall it is OK only when under one zoom ratio:

Stone-1.jpg

If I zoom it in or out it turns dark grey (and unfortunately it prints out the same):

Stone-2.jpg

Any reason for such behavior? Hardware acceleration is off. Detail level is not an issue.

EDIT: I changed scale while importing pattern from 1 to 2 and now it looks consistent (although bigger then I wanted).
    Anyway, I would like to hear some opinions on this matter.
    Last edited by Hirvio; September 16, 2011, 05:03 PM.

Seems like a scale issue of the pattern? Does it look correct at different scales/in views?

Is it a drafting or model pattern?

It could be a hardware acc./graphics card issue.

As far as printing black,try setting it to Raster instead of Vector in the print settings.
    Cliff B. Collins
    Registered Architect
    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Originally posted by cliff collins View Post
      Seems like a scale issue of the pattern? Does it look correct at different scales/in views?

Is it a drafting or model pattern?
      Model.

It could be a hardware acc./graphics card issue.

As far as printing black,try setting it to Raster instead of Vector in the print settings.
      Raster printing was already turned on and hardware acc. was off.

I edited my post (see above). It is definitely a scale issue. It would be logical that it goes black when I zoom out, because it is too dense to show, but I don't see much logic why it shows correctly only on one zoom notch between zoom in and zoom out.

Comment

Thats just how hatch is, in Revit. It picks a certain zoom level to show correctly, and it stinks at any level farther away than that, LOL.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Still doesn't explain the printing problem.....................
          Cliff B. Collins
          Registered Architect
          Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

This is a common problem with those very complicated patterns, particularly the stone patterns, e.g. StoneCAD, etc. I don't know of any solution other than what you did (increase import scale).
            Originally posted by Hirvio View Post
            EDIT: I changed scale while importing pattern from 1 to 2 and now it looks consistent (although bigger then I wanted).
            Anyway, I would like to hear some opinions on this matter.

Comment

Still doesn't explain the printing problem.....................
              Sure it does. It prints them that way if it *decides* theyre too dense. Ive even seen wackiness once or twice where i split a wall, and in a perspective view the *closer* portion had the hatch, and the *farther* portion turned to solid color. Annoying as all heck. But that was back in 2010, so i know its been that way a while.
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

I've seen the fill pattern going grey or black on screen, depending on level of zoom before--but we have always gotten it to print correctly, so from our experience there's a difference in a "display problem" and a "printing problem" in situations like this.
                Cliff B. Collins
                Registered Architect
                Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Ok. Ive seen it happen simultaneously on screen and printing, in the same views, with the same objects, at the same time. So in our experience its the same problem.

Comment

So what did you do about the printing problem? Did you change the pattern?
                    Cliff B. Collins
                    Registered Architect
                    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment