Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revit Named Sites publish to consultant Files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revit Named Sites publish to consultant Files?

I am having trouble figuring out how to actually get multiple locations pushed out to the subconsultant files. My situation is a typical campus (apartment complex) type situation, where I have the same building link exist multiple times. I have already set up the architectural and site models to have the shared coordinate system, and each building model has multiple “named sites” in the locations dialogue box. How can the consultant automatically acquire these locations to the consultant files, without them having to manually place their instances of links on the site plan, and then publishing those locations back to their file? (since I have already done this)?

We have already acquired coordinates (not with the typical acquire coordinates method, since Revit won't let you when there are multiple shared sites, we used the properties box of the arch linked file). So, both the architectural and consultant files do share the same coordinate system, but I just can't for the life of me figure out how to get the same named site location I have in the arch models, into the consultant models, so they don't have to manually place their links on the site.
    Josh Moore, Design App Manager, Perkins+Will
    www.perkinswill.com
    www.revitinfo.com

I believe (but could be misunderstanding what you need) what you are looking for is to load the subconsultant file into your model, and use "Publish Shared Coordinates" to the subconsultants links. I've never tried publishing multiple coords from one file so I'm not certain of the workflow on this one.
    .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

Comment

Originally posted by revittotd View Post
      I believe (but could be misunderstanding what you need) what you are looking for is to load the subconsultant file into your model, and use "Publish Shared Coordinates" to the subconsultants links. I've never tried publishing multiple coords from one file so I'm not certain of the workflow on this one.
      Yeah, that doesn't work. It doesn't seem to publish the named locations within the coordinate system, only the coordinate system itself...anyone else have a thought?
      www.perkinswill.com
      www.revitinfo.com

Comment

The multiple locations are defined with regard to the single building used several times as various locations. That means that Revit can show the position of the building itself oriented to one of these different Saved Locations, one at a time. You can set one of these positions to be Current and the True North orientation as well as the building elevation will change to reflect the current position. On the same page so far?

The other consultant files only need to know what True North and have the same understanding of a coordinate location. If that is true then you need to export the building file to CAD once (for each floor plan they need) for each building location you've saved/established. When they link each separate CAD file they'll have their own notion of where the origin is and which way is North, but it will be based on the same "world" as theirs. If you are exporting 3D then you need to do so for each saved location as well. Then your client links each "buildings" own files. To them it will appear that you have several buildings and corresponding files even though you only have one building in Revit.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Steve...I never thought about the use of CAD files to do that. However, I am working with consultants in Revit. They have one Revit file for each one of my buildings. A few of the buildings exist multiple times on the site, and the MEP needs to be able to link in their MEP files into the site so they do their site work. I am trying to avoid them having to manually place these in the site file and then publish back the named site locations I have already set up in the arch building files.

All that said, I followed some of what you are saying, does your method work for this circumstance, if so, can you expand more specifically?

Thanks again!
          www.perkinswill.com
          www.revitinfo.com

Comment

Well that's a horse of a different color! I'm not sure why I assumed the other trades were using CAD, sorry!

The buildings that have multiple saved locations are not allowed to publish coordinates to the other trades. If you try you get a message: "Cannot acquire coordinates from a model with multiple named sites." It's a bit of a road block I'm afraid.

In order to be able to show the alternate locations the other trades files will need to be linked into the site model and moved into position, the same as the building files were done. If they start with the building file linked into theirs Origin to Origin your model and theirs won't get out of alignment with each other. It's just the site positioning of them that is involved. If you add a couple reference planes to the building file for them to use as a common registration mark then when their models are loaded into the site model they can be moved into place, publish coordinates and they'll be able to show the different building orientations in their own individual building model files.

Something like this:
            • Create site model (done)
            • Link survey > Acquire coordinates (done)
            • Create building model(s) (done)
            • Link building models into site > reposition xyz > Publish Coordinates (done)
            • Share building models with Trades > they import/link origin to origin (done?)
            • Repeat process to position Building models with trades models (not done, hoping to avoid but can't)
            • Either: Send them a copy of site model, or have them give you their models temporarily to define locations and return them.

The only real benefit to going through this is so the files can be imported into the site model and line up correctly AND you/they can change the orientation of the building/trades to show the True North orientation in each individual file.

Comment