System Panel - Door problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Panel - Door problem

I have a curved system panel, based on a mass element, that I am using as a curtain wall to the back of some classrooms. I had to use a curtain system due to the shape of the wall and the fact I needed it to be applied to a mass. It works fine, but I now need to insert some doors into it. I get the error as per my attached extract.

I can change the "system panel" to be something else, ie a kallwall panel, but that involves copying and amending an existing system panel. As soon as I try and change the default glazed panel to a door, it wont have it and throws up the error. I know these curtain wall doors are OK, as I have them all over this project.

I can only think it must be a problem that is down to using a curtain system and I must replce a system panel with a system panel.. so, can I insert a door into a panel in a curtain system..?

Cheers
    Attached Files
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it

Could you post a part of the project here? What message do you get when you hit "Expand"?

If I understand you correctly you created a curved Mass (curved in Plan View?). You then applied a Curtain System. Are the actual panels curved or straight?

You could also try this workflow:
    1. Use Wall by Face to place Basic Wall
    2. Select the Wall and replace with Curtain Wall (although using the Wall by Face should also let you choose a Curtain Wall)
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Hi Martijn,

The message I get is as per the attached file.

Yes, you have my workflow pretty much spot on. The panels are straight, as far as I can see, but the overall frame looks like its following the line of the curve.

I have a curved piece of curtain wall also in the project, that accepts door panels without issue.. I could post some of teh project, but when I copy paste the offending curtain system into a new file, it loses loads of detail..?

Let me know if you want to see a copy of the project and I will try and condense.

Many thanks.
      Attached Files
      I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it

Comment

Well, the txt gives me a bunch of weird symbols...
        Could you try to save as, delete surrounding stuff, purge and post. If it's too big, my email is at the bottom. If that's too big PM me and I'll set up a Dropbox folder.

Normally an error like this happens when the size of the frame (width/height) isn't continuous. IOW, when you have applied different Mullions in parts of the surrounding frame which forces the panel to change width/height in one instance.
        Martijn de Riet
        MdR Advies

Comment

Ok.. Here is a really stripped down version of the file.. everything gone, apart from things that are a problem, or explain why the curtain system is, at it is..!

Cheers
          Attached Files

Comment

I don't think you need to use a Mass to convert the face to a Curtain System--as it is not an "organic form" and it can be modeled with the normal
            curtain wall tools. This should simplify things and the curtain panel should be easily changed to a curtain wall door.
            Cliff B. Collins
            Registered Architect
            The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
            Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

It shouldnt matter if its a Curtain System or a Curtain Wall regardless, so i wouldnt swap it out just yet. MdR hit the nail on the head: Are the two mullions on the *right* side both the same mullion? The two on the left, are they the same? And the two on the top? BTW, try making the horizontal mullion dominate the joinery condition on the top, bu clicking the tictactoe button with one of those mullions selected.

Then report back here if it worked or not. Custom Curtain Wall Panels cant be used unless the Panel definition is perfectly rectangular.
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
              @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

I agree that it shouldn't matter if it's a curtain system or normal curtainwall--however, I'm just pointing out that it simplifies things if you do not use a Mass
                and curtain system if you don't need to--it just adds more unnecessary complexity. If the design/geometry required a shape that only a Mass can provide, then use it.
                If not, just use a curtain wall.
                Cliff B. Collins
                Registered Architect
                The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
                Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

The problem is this: you removed the gridline between two panels in order to create one large panel for double / sliding doors right?
                  Normally, not a problem...

BUT: in this case, the wall is curved. And Revit divides this into segments which are angled slightly from another. With system panels, this is not a problem. Both halfs are slightly angled but Revit will Join them anyway, showing a single panel. But when you want to use a custom curtain panel, it fails on the angle between the two joined system panels... I hope this is somewhat clear...

What you need to do is bump one gridline out of the curtain system, create a big panel as needed. Then go to Home tab and use Curtain Grid to place a single Mullion in the overhead window.

EDIT:
                  Removing the Grid Line is going to be somewhat difficult... Since you used the "Fixed Distance" for the Grid Pattern. I would recommend switching this back to "None" and use Curtain Grid command to manually add all the Grid Lines. Using this method it lets you delete Grid Lines that you don't need, lets you pin the Grid Lines on any place you want (without having them snapping back to default position) and prevents the Grid Lines from randomly snapping back to their default location all together. I NEVER EVER use any of the hardcoded setups, always manual placement...
                  Last edited by mdradvies; September 15, 2011, 03:02 PM.
                  Martijn de Riet
                  MdR Advies

Comment

Yep.. Tried all of the above and they are the same mullions all round, also tried the different mullion joins and still no luck.

Then tried to see if any of the mullions were different using the Parrallel to ground or Perp to frame, and that didnt make a difference. the only thing that would make them non square anywhere are in plan; the distance between the back of the two mullion frames is greater than the two front frames, indicating that the mullions are set towards a radius. But, I have a curtain wall where I have the exact same thing, and it works fine on this one.. of course, I may have missed something here thou...

Comment