Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attaching circular void forms to reference planes

Hi

Does anyone know how to attach a circular void form to a reference plane? I can make a rectangle do what it should, but I have been completely unsuccessful with a circular void.

Basically trying to do something simple - cut an extrusion with a circular hole that when the solid extrusion moves, the void goes with it. I've attached the family file and you can see the two voids in the upper ears of the pipe column saddle. Change the height of the saddle ears and the voids don't act as they should.

Thanks

steve
    Attached Files
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
    ― George Orwell

Try Grouping your void with a invisible line that's is at the location relative to the hole, then aligning and locking the invisible line to your RP.

I bet someone else has a better way of doing this but it might help.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Alex Cunningham; September 13, 2011, 11:51 PM. Reason: I really should spell check more...
    -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Thanks - I tried to use two arcs with the ends locked to the reference plane - worked like a champ

Thanks

steve
      “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
      ― George Orwell

Comment

Make reference plane crosshairs at the required centre, dimension-set to an offset distance from adjacent reference planes defining the solid form's extents, draw the void-forms circle with it's centre "locked" to the crosshair intersection, and set the radius by a parameter. Tie the radius parameter to the offset parameter with a rule, (it can't be equal, you'll need some "edge") and flex away.

I'll build something for you tomorrow if that doesn't help. But for now I should go to bed.

EDIT Oh I see you've fixed it as I typed that, excellent. :thumbsup:
        Last edited by snowyweston; September 14, 2011, 12:05 AM.

Comment

I don't know what "reference plane cross hairs are." Are they just two planes that interest at 90 degree angles to each other?

Get some sleep

Thanks
          ― George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy202 View Post
            I don't know what "reference plane cross hairs are." Are they just two planes that interest at 90 degree angles to each other?

Get some sleep

Thanks
            Yup they are... With these you can lock the center of a circle and then use the radius dimension to add parameters.
            Martijn de Riet
            Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
            MdR Advies
            Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Thanks - I like your method better than mine.
              ― George Orwell

Comment