Square Grip doesn't appear while tapping 'tab'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Square Grip doesn't appear while tapping 'tab'

I'm learning Revit and I'm going through the 'No Experience Required' book, and I'm on the dimensions chapter.

It seems that when I'm trying to do an angular dimension annotation, I'm supposed to:

5. Hover your pointer over the core intersection, as shown in Figure 5.10.
    6. Tap the Tab key until you see the square grip appear.
    N O T E By tapping the Tab key, you tell Revit to filter through different
    points. When you arrive at the square grip, Revit can dimension the angled wall.
    7. When the square grip appears, pick it (left-click), as shown in Figure 5.10.

However, all that happens is the different centerlines from adjacent objects. Any ideas?

Thanks!

The only square grip that I am aware of in relation to a dimension are the ones that appears AFTER you place the dimensions for controlling witness lines, gaps and text location. I'll have to look into what you are talking about later, as I'm too lazy to boot up windows at the moment.
    .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

Comment

What it is, is that I have an angled wall, and I'd like to add an annotation with the length of the wall. However, there isn't anything to attach it to. So even when I select one of the centerlines, it just starts the measurement at a perpendicular, compared to parallel. I've sat and followed these instructions for like 30 minutes, over and over and over. There's just no freakin' square grip!!!

I know I'm missing something. I Just started this yesterday, and I'm about a quarter of the way through the book, and I'm loving the application. I've been drawing all of my plans in autocad for years. This is not only going to be easier, but much more fun at the same time!

I know I'm never going to be out of the woods with CAD though.

Anyhow, any help would be awesome, because I'm stuck if I can't figure this out.

Here's the book from google starting on page 206.
      Here's the book from Google

Comment

Use the Aligned Dimension Tool, hold your cursor over the desired intersection, and for the square node just keep Tabbing and revit will cycle its way through its options, the square node is the last option in the cycle.
        Attached Files
        mark b
        Last edited by mark b; September 10, 2011, 10:45 AM.
        Mark Balsom

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Comment

The best way to dimension the length of an angled wall is to use the default dimension tool, and select "Entire Wall" (as opposed to individual selection) from the drop down in the options bar. However, I discourage this because that's not how contractors lay walls out on the site.

Looking at the book, I have no clue what he's talking about. It seems like maybe it should be a ROUND grip, but that will only appear at the end of the wall and the placement of that round grip depends on several factors while placing the wall. If you want to see the round grip's location, select the wall and look for the location line grips (the blue grips at each end of the wall. Once you know the location zoom in to that area, and try repeating his steps, using the tab feature over the area where the blue grips were. Again, this would be much easier to just use the Entire Wall option in the dimension tool option bar.

.HTH.
          .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

Comment

I don't know what happened, but after sleeping on it, tossing and turning, ****** off wondering why it wasn't working, I woke up with a fresh cup of coffee, hit Rosetta Stone for an hour, then opened up Revit, and like that...

BAM!!!!!

... it worked. I don't know what happened, or what I did differently, but it just worked.

Thank you guys for your support though. I'm sure this isn't going to be the last time you'll here from me.

PS: I love this forum! You guys rock!

Comment

Chipping in here (even though it's solved):

He's not talking about a Grip, he's talking about a vertex point. The (in 2011) blue square on the intersections of walls. In 2012 this is gone (or is it just my crappy loaner videocard)...
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
                Chipping in here (even though it's solved):

He's not talking about a Grip, he's talking about a vertex point. The (in 2011) blue square on the intersections of walls. In 2012 this is gone (or is it just my crappy loaner videocard)...
                Nup, still there, now its a bit smaller and dark grey. See my screen shot above.
                Mark Balsom

Comment

Originally posted by mark b View Post
                  Nup, still there, now its a bit smaller and dark grey. See my screen shot above.
                  LOL, then it's my crappy loaner... Blank with me. Just out of curiousity: is this user-defined. IOW: can I change the appearence so that I can actually see it?
                  Martijn de Riet
                  Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                  MdR Advies
                  Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
                    LOL, then it's my crappy loaner... Blank with me. Just out of curiousity: is this user-defined. IOW: can I change the appearence so that I can actually see it?
                    As far as i know its hard-wired
                    Mark Balsom

Comment