Multiple Disciplines in a single model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Disciplines in a single model

Have any of you ever modeled Architectural, MEP and Structural in a single model using BIM 360. Each discipline would be on its own workset.

Just curious we are trying to determine if this is a good route to go on a major project.
    Denis Pohlman, AIA, NCARB, WELL AP, CPHC
    Architect + BIM Coordinator
    Kahler Slater, Inc.

Let me ask you this: what is the team thinking will be the benefit?

I've done it, but I wouldn't do it again without a darn good compelling reason.

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
    Director
    Parallax Team, Inc.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

We are setting up a prototype set/model for a major developer that we work for. Since this is a prototype which will then be distributed to 4 different Architecture firms we wanted to minimize the number of models we were managing (this is being done for 20+ buildings) so not having linked models sounds like a good idea.

There are also Design Options that will be built into the Prototype drawings, the thought was that the MEPS could just add their components to the Design Option rather than having a separate one in a linked model.

Also having everything in one model means that all sheets for that building are contained in a single location, and not scattered between several models.
      Kahler Slater, Inc.

Comment

Does BIM 360 refer to "C4R"?
        Will you have a steady flow of more than 9 users in the same file?
        Is your floor plate larger than 50K SF or 100K SF?
        How well trained is the staff at modeling, do they have 5-10 plus Revit projects under their belts?
        So, all the Disciplines share the same project standards (Object Styles, View Templates, Browser Org, etc...)?
        Don't let "convenience" fool you as the best case scenario to practice in Revit. Sometimes there are yuge "Gotchas" lurking around the corner.
        Last edited by cftrevizo; February 19, 2018, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what would be your suggested alternative? All disciplines in the same BIM 360 (C4R) project but with separate files for each? I've been working on a project where we have both architecture teams in the same Revit file (makes sense), the structural team is in BIM 360 but in a separate file, and the MEP/IT disciplines their own files outside of BIM 360 that I have to constantly upload to the cloud every time they give me a new model (which is weekly in some cases). Through this whole process I kept thinking it would be nice if we were all in the same model. I'm hearing that maybe that's not the case?

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
          Let me ask you this: what is the team thinking will be the benefit?

I've done it, but I wouldn't do it again without a darn good compelling reason.

Aaron Maller
          Director
          Parallax Team, Inc.
          Chad Koscinski | Architect

Comment

There may be 5-10 users in the model at a time.
            I cannot speak for the staff at our consulting firms, but for us the staff modeling has adequate experience
            We will be creating a set of standards to start from so that each discipline is using the same discipline, as this is specific for a client and there will be ongoing maintenance of the models.

What are the biggest Gotchas so that we can weigh our options.
            Kahler Slater, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick17 View Post
              Just out of curiosity, what would be your suggested alternative? All disciplines in the same BIM 360 (C4R) project but with separate files for each? I've been working on a project where we have both architecture teams in the same Revit file (makes sense), the structural team is in BIM 360 but in a separate file, and the MEP/IT disciplines their own files outside of BIM 360 that I have to constantly upload to the cloud every time they give me a new model (which is weekly in some cases). Through this whole process I kept thinking it would be nice if we were all in the same model. I'm hearing that maybe that's not the case?
              This is exactly what we are getting at with our process. We want it to as seemless as possible and when it is all said and done each of us would have 20+ models that would need to be linked into each other, I am doing this process now on a different but similar project and it is a pain.
              Kahler Slater, Inc.

Comment

Culture and Process are primary issues with single model strategy and are often harder to confront, apart from computer limitations. The firm's culture such as, "nobody else can touch my stuff" can create friction between teams. The process side rears its head when deadlines approach and different teams are trying to plot or post models and the other teams are still working out their own design stuff. It can be quite hard to get pens down long enough to print/plot/export.

Comment

Convenience of sheets in one model and only one sets of Design Options would not even come close to having to deal with the worksets, the sync times (now everyone gets to feel the analytical models...), the touching each other's stuff (now exaserbated because only one person can be in an option at a time and you have all disciplines in there), the mountain of view types and view templates you'll end up with for no decent reason, and on and on.

All the other stuff are issues that aren't really related (having to upload consultants models is an entirely different issue all together, and even with a team of experts AND a small floor plate I still wouldn't do it).

There just isn't a point. Just my opinion, though.

Aaron Maller
                  Director
                  Parallax Team, Inc.
                  Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                  @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

I forgot about the 1 person in a Design Option thing, We have found that sync times are faster on the cloud for us vs our local server. I suppose we could have a separate model for Arch, Struc, MEP and then link them all into a collaborative model for clash detection.

We have had projects in the past where we had sheets in different models, General Sheets in the coordination model, plan / elevation sheets in their respective model, details in a separate file etc. each discipline in their own file and it would take us a day just to print everything and combine the pdfs, versus now it takes us only a few hours to print and compile because it is all in a single model.

Thanks for the input we will review the options.
                    Kahler Slater, Inc.

Comment