Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purge/Delete unwanted Dimension Styles

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Purge/Delete unwanted Dimension Styles

    We just found out we have the guts of 100 dimension styles in our project all numbered, some duplicates of the same number. I've searched a bit and it seems to come in from families which had autocad in them.

    I've gone through a detached version of the model deleting all families which, when deleted, let me purge the unwanted dim styles. I'm left with a bunch of families which have unwanted dim styles in them, for the most part opening them, purging and loading them back into the project seems to work.

    I've just noticed on (at least) one family I can't purge out the unused dim style. If I delete all the nested families it will purge out, however the nested family which (once deleted) lets me purge the dims doesn't appear to have the offending dim style in it (or anything left to purge out).

    Short of editing each family (and nested families), purging and reloading is there an addon (or Dynamo script) which will force delete the offending styles? I'm also having a similar problem with arrow style but this seems to be tied back to the dims.

    #2
    Dynamo should be able to get them. There is also Project Sweeper from pkh Lineworks, and BIM Manager Suite from CTC.
    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO


    chad
    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

    Comment


      #3
      Have you used either of the add-ins? From their descriptions I don't see if they can purge/delete dim styles?

      I figure Dynamo could do it, only problem is that I can't do Dynamo well enough and I don't have the time to do it during work.

      Comment


        #4
        I was wrong- Project Sweeper doesn't do much with dimensions and BIM Manager can swap dimensions but doesn't delete them. I have and use both tools and they are great, they just don't do this particular task :hide: If you haven't found them yet these might help:

        There is a Dynamo Graph in this thread that with a little work onf ilters would do what you want:
        https://www.revitforum.org/dynamo-bi...s-project.html

        Some additional info on cleaning:
        https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit...s/td-p/6258192

        edit:
        Give the attached graph a shot. You will need to update the string search to whatever the term you are searching for is but otherwise it should work. It is based on the graph Yna_DB posted in the linked thread above.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by cellophane; February 9, 2018, 01:59 PM.
        Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO


        chad
        BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by cellophane View Post
          edit: Give the attached graph a shot. You will need to update the string search to whatever the term you are searching for is but otherwise it should work. It is based on the graph Yna_DB posted in the linked thread above.
          works a treat! With the dim styles that are named numerically one just has to rename them to include the string in the search code block. Now to figure out how to have Dynamo automatically add "Bad" (or whatever) in front of any dim that is only named as a number.
          I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
            works a treat! With the dim styles that are named numerically one just has to rename them to include the string in the search code block. Now to figure out how to have Dynamo automatically add "Bad" (or whatever) in front of any dim that is only named as a number.
            You can rename the dimension or change the search criteria in the code block. I used BAD because it was easy and obvious what I was doing. If you do modify the search criteria, make sure to verify the results. For example, searching for "A" will return anything with a capital A in the name.
            Attached Files
            Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO


            chad
            BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by cellophane View Post
              You can rename the dimension or change the search criteria in the code block. I used BAD because it was easy and obvious what I was doing. If you do modify the search criteria, make sure to verify the results. For example, searching for "A" will return anything with a capital A in the name.
              the problem with the rogue dimensions that are the subject of this thread, they are named as numbers, like 1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,6,7,8,9,9,9, etc. So, again, we need to figure out a way to isolate dim names that are only numbers. For me, all of my dim names are descriptive and include the dim height, font, and any other specialty like bold or italic. I had a project last year that had hundreds of these dim names and it was maddening!
              I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

              Comment


                #8
                Try to convert the strings to numbers and filter out those that return null.
                Attached Files
                Chris Ellersick

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by cellophane View Post
                  I was wrong- Project Sweeper doesn't do much with dimensions and BIM Manager can swap dimensions but doesn't delete them. I have and use both tools and they are great, they just don't do this particular task :hide: If you haven't found them yet these might help:

                  There is a Dynamo Graph in this thread that with a little work onf ilters would do what you want:
                  https://www.revitforum.org/dynamo-bi...s-project.html

                  Some additional info on cleaning:
                  https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit...s/td-p/6258192

                  edit:
                  Give the attached graph a shot. You will need to update the string search to whatever the term you are searching for is but otherwise it should work. It is based on the graph Yna_DB posted in the linked thread above.
                  Bit of a late reply. I had a quick look at that Friday, had to rebuild it because I don't have a new enough Dynamo version.

                  I ran it for a few and at one point I got an error about a family breaking, guess it has some of the offending dim styles in it.

                  I'll have to run it again when I have a little more time. It seems to work, I just need to rename my dims so it doesn't purge the ones I actually need because it has a 2 in it's name.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Could anyone show an example or post a link to an example known of how to "Swap" an Annotation Style/Family/Type Family out for another in Dynamo. This would then allow you to purge the now unused "stuff" you want to remove instead of deleting a DIM somewhere in the Revit Ether that's needed, & would it also swap the ones put onto Legend Views; which is the one place when you "Select All, in Project" won't select, which is why when you think you've removed all from existence to then Purge it won't show up, because it's somewhere in a Legend View. Of course, CTC has the Type Swapper tool in the BIM Mgr Suite, but it's a purdy' penny to get.

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X