parent vs host family difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

parent vs host family difference

Can somebody explain to me if there is a difference between using the terms 'parent' family and 'host' family?

Thanks!

The term Parent family is used when talking about a Parent to Child relationship between families: A Child family (such as a door panel family) might be Nested into a Parent family (the main door family). With this method you can have a single door panel family that you can reuse in numerous door families - or use the panel multiple times in the one door family. Another example is to have a basin family and you nest in a mixer family. This is a good thing to do.

The term Host is used when a family can (generally) only live when it is Hosted (stuck) to an object in a Revit project file. A Floor based family can only live in a project when it is hosted to a Floor object; A Wall based family can only live when it is hosted to a Wall. There are also Ceiling based and Roof based families too. The big downside of these families is that if you delete the Host object, eg your floor, then any and all families that have been hosted to that object will also be deleted - and if you are not paying attention you won't even notice it. For this reason I do not use these families any more.

An alternative is to use a Face based family which is hosted to the face of another item in a project (or a parent family). If the host is subsequently deleted, the family survives, which is good. I use Face based families...... however they do have one downside: Don't use them in Groups. They work fine in a normal environment, but do not put them into Groups as they will eventually cause problems. Use standard non-hosted families instead.

Good luck.

Comment