Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error Checking Tool

Hi All,

We are looking at a joint venture where the clients brief suggests that we need to specify the error checking software to use regularly to avoid files becoming corrupt.

Is anyone aware of any way of checking the integrity of a .rvt file apart from opening with 'audit'?

Cheers
    I used to be high on life, until I realised it was cut with Morons.
    Combating ignorance daily through learning.

Originally posted by Tim West View Post
    Hi All,

We are looking at a joint venture where the clients brief suggests that we need to specify the error checking software to use regularly to avoid files becoming corrupt.

Is anyone aware of any way of checking the integrity of a .rvt file apart from opening with 'audit'?

Cheers
    Had the client indicated (in their brief or otherwise) what tool they find satisfactory for that purpose? If they are asking for it, surely they have something in mind. And if they don't, what makes then think it exists?

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
    Director
    Parallax Team, Inc.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Hey Aaron,

Thanks for the input.

The project has rail involved, which i assume means bentley products. I am led to believe that bentley had some serious corruption issues in years past, and so assume that they have a tool to help mitigate this risk.

Far too many assumptions for my liking...
      I used to be high on life, until I realised it was cut with Morons.
      Combating ignorance daily through learning.

Comment

If they're coming from a Bentley/MicroStation environment, the corruption repair software they use is likely the 3rd party Axiom File Fixer software. Corrupt DGN files usually meant game over without that tool.

I know of no such equivalent for Revit, nor have i ever had a model that could not in some way be recovered. Even with the corrupt file warning, we've been able to roll back and recover. And if it is corrupted beyond self-repair, Autodesk support can help.

Sounds like apples to oranges.

- Jon

Comment

Does anyone know how Autodesk support repair the corrupted rvt file? I'm curious why we can't do it by ourselves or why the tool is not available for customers.

Comment

Originally posted by edo View Post
            Does anyone know how Autodesk support repair the corrupted rvt file? I'm curious why we can't do it by ourselves or why the tool is not available for customers.
            Im guessing it's because they have access to the underlying code/database and can go where no regular user has gone before.
            There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

Originally posted by edo View Post
              As I'm due to send them some (I'm flummoxed by my current quandary) I shall ask them Edo.

Comment

Yes, they have some internal tools that can do a deeper audit and error correction on projects.
                I've begged them for this tool in the past, but AFAIK, there's no way they're going to let it out in the wild.
                We have a project that's gone corrupt on us 4 or 5 times over it's life. We've had to send it off to Support (I miss saying "the Factory").
                Each time they fixed it and sent it back within an hour or two, so it must be something relatively simple, but they won't hand it out.
                Dave Plumb
                BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment