Parameter values stuck in model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parameter values stuck in model

I have a formula in a family. Very simple - it adds up A, B and C. When I exercise it in the family by changing A, B or C, it jumps rope and spits out great answers, but in the model it doesn't do the math correctly.
    Screen caps attached. Any help will be appreciated. I'm under the gun, of course!
    Attached Files

I wonder if the numbers in the formula names are throwing it off. Try =[W QTY 01] + [W THRU QTY 01] + [W SPR QTY 01] to see if that makes a difference.

Comment

could you post the family?

Comment

Originally posted by chris.macko View Post
        I wonder if the numbers in the formula names are throwing it off. Try =[W QTY 01] + [W THRU QTY 01] + [W SPR QTY 01] to see if that makes a difference.
        No difference. The editor ditched the [ ] characters as soon as I hit Apply

Comment

That's strange, I've used those before and they don't get removed by the system. If they're not shared parameters, can you try changing their names by replacing the spaces with _?

Comment

Originally posted by flayre View Post
            could you post the family?
            It's 1.4Mb. I'll have to edit it to cut it down to size.

Comment

That's strange, I've used those before and they don't get removed by the system. If they're not shared parameters, can you try changing their names by replacing the spaces with _?
              They are shared. I tried removing the formula parameter (saved the formula) and re-loaded it. No change.

Comment

I read somewhere that parameter values in the model supersede values from the family unless you select overwrite at load time, however, I fear losing all of the values already entered into the instances of this family in the project. I've also read, but don't really remember, that global parameters can be used to fix stuck parameters. Ideas?

Comment

Yes, any parameter values entered in the project will remain unless you overwrite parameter values as well, but this will not change any formulas, and you can still update the parameters in the project environment. If you wanted to lock a specific parameter in the family from the project environment, you can assign it to a global parameter. You can also define formulas in the global parameter editor.
                  Is the problem you're having the formula not working correctly, or the parameter values just not updating when you reload the family? if it's the second, that's the expected behavior.

Comment

Yes, any parameter values entered in the project will remain unless you overwrite parameter values as well, but this will not change any formulas, and you can still update the parameters in the project environment. If you wanted to lock a specific parameter in the family from the project environment, you can assign it to a global parameter. You can also define formulas in the global parameter editor.
                    Is the problem you're having the formula not working correctly, or the parameter values just not updating when you reload the family? if it's the second, that's the expected behavior.
                    The parameter values existed in the project, having been loaded with the family as placeholders before I added the formula to calculate them. My family has calculations for 10 systems (01, 02, 03,..., 10) and many more formulas and lookups per system (all of which work fine except this formula in all ten systems - why this one is broken...?), so isolating them with global parameters might be days of work.
                    If I load a family, can I tell it which parameters to update from family and which to ignore, keeping the values already in the project, without using global parameters? I have ten broken formulas, so altering all the others is difficult to contemplate. Can I kill the result values of the formula in the project?

Comment