Windows 10 & Revit 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 & Revit 2017

Posting this from home so haven't build versions for either our Windows* or Revit at present (helpful) but to start things off, should they not be necessary...

We upgraded our office to Windows 10 over the weekend - after considerable testing to make sure all was well with the build... but I dropped a ball and didn't test EVERYTHING, namely working with workshared models, (specifically with the worksharing monitor).

Yesterday we got this: untitled.png
    one two different models/computers/users/times - on final STC and close. The STC completes, but seemingly Revit chokes at the last hurdle and spews out this (with no crash popup) - I note "specifically" the worksharing monitor because we've seen some strangeness there (users listing 7 times?!?) as well for the first time - and as mention in posts past, I'm not so au fait with it.

I've asked "the affected" to try to replicate the error with, and/or without using the WSM, but wanted to get this out into the air in case others might have noted the same?

EDIT
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro = 10.0.16299 Build 16299

Troubleshooting:

Our Revit 2017 install was deployed to our new Windows 10 build from a (BDSU) deployment created previously on Windows 7.

...might that be a potential culprit?

151126200421-09-flash-gordon-super-169.jpg

Comment

In my experience it doesnt matter what OS is used to create the deployments themselves, since the deployments have provisions for different OS's in them regardless. (Although they do the OS check on the machine BUILDING the deployment, which is insanely stupid, but no comment there).

I've built deployments in W7 that ran fine on W10, so i wouldnt think it was the issue. Ive also built some in W10 that were then ran on W7, without issue as well.

I would try getting those teams in the model completely sans-addins, and see if the model fatal errors.

I hte to ask, but were the machines *upgraded* to Windows 10? I basically refuse to run a full version Windows Upgrade. If a machine needs an OS upgrade, it gets re-imaged. Even my last internal W10 upgrade (to Fall Creators 1709) left a few machines with random side effects enough so that im going to reimage them.

There is no way i would take a machine with Windows 7 and "upgrade" it and expect it to work, personally.
      Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
      @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
        I hte to ask, but were the machines *upgraded* to Windows 10?
        And you're too on both accounts - but Aha! We are now a volume licensee and all was a full from-scratch build.

I'm rolling my sleeves up tomorrow.

Comment

Versions on .NET would be the first place I'd check
          But I suppose you don't have an old Win 7 around anymore to compare to, do you?
          Dave Plumb
          BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
            Versions on .NET would be the first place I'd check
            But I suppose you don't have an old Win 7 around anymore to compare to, do you?
            One dodged the draft - not one of our normal Revit machines, but a suitable candidate for a control test.

Wait hold on... never thought about: Different users using different Windows to access the same central file...?

Comment

Yep. Causes issues. SMB protocols are the typical scapegoat, although i havent personally verified it since i dont have any more windows 7 laying around. But a few of my clients are having issues with multiple OS's. Im recommending they just move everyone to Windows 10.
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

So one of the 2015 models crapped out today... and in-some-sign-of-consistency, on launching Xrev.

Did I mention Xrev before? My focus was on WSM, as it's a sacrificial lamb I'd happily douse in mint sauce, but Xrev muscling in as prime suspect? Yeah losing Xrev, even temporarily, would be a doomsday event here.

Mr Spot, you have email.

Comment

I havent installed WSM in years. That is, until they bundled it with the main installer. Now im getting used to seeing its worthless ass at the top of the UI, since i dont want the hassle of unbundling it from the installer, lol.

Comment

Yeah, looks like it's an Xrev/Enscape conflict so gonna push 2.1.3 at lunch and cross fingers...

Comment